Saturday, June 8, 2013

National Marina Day...

 I guess it's a bit like National Pizza Day: it's an "event" to bring people to the marina.  There are rescue boat demonstrations, free boat rides, demo rides on kayaks and SUP (stand up paddle) boards, a swap meet, booths selling food.

Topping it all off, it's a pretty decent day... not clear blue sky (like the weather weasels predicted), but the overcast is high and thin.

The first thing you see from our boat is that platform that I wrote about last week - they are doing Hobie kayak demos off that.  Since it is 4 slips down from our boat, I can sit in the cockpit and watch people come and go... including one old guy who said, "This is great - I'm going to ride everyone of these!"

I heard his wife say, "Why?  You aren't going to buy one." (That last comment was a statement, not a question.)

"It's free."


Just down from that, they are giving free boat rides in the electric Duffy boats, and showing off some boats for sale...


TowboatUS and the Sheriff rescue boat were doing demonstrations...


You can't have too many fenders. ;-)

Up in the parking lot, there are booths selling food and a swap meet going on...



When I was in Roche Harbor yesterday, I saw a Raymarine demonstration trailer setting up.  I would assume marinas all over are promoting this.

The crowds aren't huge, but people seem to be enjoying the atmosphere.

I had time this morning to walk up to the Friday Harbor Farmers Market...


This is a weekly event, and definitely has more of a crowd.

Each incoming ferry brings in more folks for the weekend... the streets fill up for a time after the ferry docks.

Some area schools still aren't out (local graduation is today) - the summer season is upon us.


No comments: