Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hello, Blackberry...

I trained a new first mate today - well, she was a naturalist/first mate on the Roche Harbor boat last year, so she has experience.  The boat I drive most often makes a different arrival to the dock, and I am dependent on the first mate handling lines precisely.  We talked about this boat's particular procedures, then several "touch and goes" from the dock... between the Washington State Ferry and the Victoria Clipper III.  Good way to learn, and she did an outstanding job!  Very personable, and dependable.

Our boat had a charter today... a group from Holland.  I was thinking: pretty girls in flared skirts and wooden shoes.  No.  All, but two of them were big burly guys.  As in: they looked like a bunch of weight-lifters!  Oh, well... they were looking to see whales, and I had a good report.  And, they were here to have fun.

Right before shoving off, the boss stepped onboard and said, "I'm riding with you today."

"It's your boat.  Welcome aboard."

We left Friday Harbor an hour after most of the Friday Harbor boats, so I knew right where I was heading.

In less than an hour, we were approaching "the conga line": at least 15 other whale watch boats were already on the scene.  I approached slowly, and decided where to position the boat.  The boss asked my intentions, so I explained what I was doing and why.

"You've got this," he said.  "I'll turn you loose after today."

His boats, his company, he gets to make the decisions.  We did get to have a few "philosophical" discussions today.  ;-)

The position we set up on the boat turned out to be... amazing.  We had whales on three sides of us, all at legal distances.  I shut down the boat, so the guests could hear the whales as well as see them.

And then... two males that had been at least 500 yards away from us popped up very close to the boat!  I recognized my old friend, Blackberry... he likes this boat!  After surfacing close by, I said to the guests, "He's going to go right under us!"  Close, he rolled onto his back and swam right next to the boat.  Everyone on the boat, myself included, gasped!

Blackberry (J-27) and Mike (J-26) moved slowly away from the boat.  We had a great view of a group of at least six females at 200 yards.  It was an amazing show.  I moved outside the other boats and repositioned the boat for another good viewing.  I could hear the cameras on the deck below the helm clicking away.  That reminded me to pull out my little point and shoot...





One last look, and I took us to the far side of Spieden Island... got a view of a couple eagles and some seals, including some fresh pups.  Then, back to Friday Harbor, right on schedule.

It was a lovely day.  Haro Strait was like a lake.  The whales were easy to find.  Plenty of sunshine.  Very little breeze.  Happy guests.  Did I mention the whales?

Yeah, a very good day.  :-)

-----------------

Home for the evening - marina reflections...



No comments: