Saturday, June 22, 2013

I checked...

Yesterday was the first "official" full day of summer.  Even though summer has been the norm for a while now for most of the country, we still haven't topped 68º since we've been in Friday Harbor.  Today may be the day: the weather weasels are calling for 70º and glorious sunshine and winds in the low single digits.  It should be a good day on the water.

The crowds are pouring in for the weekend.  Our boats are full.  For anyone who has worked with the public, you will understand this: tomorrow is the full moon.  A "supermoon" (I explained that a day or two ago).  People get a little crazy around the full moon.  I saw some of that as I walked to the store and Farmers' Market this morning: young men just looking for a place to raise some hell; young ladies looking for those young men.  Traffic vying for position off the ferry... it's a small town with plenty of crosswalks - no one is going anywhere too fast when the ferry lets out.

I overheard something kinda funny this morning...
"Could you tell me where the Farmers' Market is?"
"Go up two blocks, turn left down the walkway by the movie theater, and go 'till you smell the hippies."

;-)

I guess he's never had the bakery's pizza there?  I looked around once I was there.  Yeah, there were definitely a few folks who may be having some difficulty leaving the 60s and 70s behind, but it is a great mix of people wandering by the booths.  And, it was packed.

Time for me to change and head to work - should be a beautiful day on the water.  We'll see if the whales get more active with the full moon, too.


2 comments:

vwittsche said...

As a retired educator, of 31 years, we'd NEVER embrace a full moon with a "sugar filled" holiday...say for instance....Halloween or Valentine's Day. I once heard of teaching "professionals" who would actually use personal days for such events. (not that I am drawing from personal experience...LOL)...so, I totally get the "full moon...ie..." thing"~! From here on out, I working from a "grandparents/or elderly" perspective!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

You can't POSSIBLY be "elderly", Val - you're younger than I am!!