Tuesday, June 25, 2013

If it's Tuesday...

We are settling into a routine here.  So far, we have managed to get two days off together each week.  That's a good thing, 'cause last year it was one most of the time.  It is also two days in a row off... so far.  I know that can change when we are into the really busy part of the season, but we try to roll with it.

So, Tuesdays are clean-up days, 'cause we're back to work tomorrow.  We're still into the pretty extreme tides of the summer solstice and the full moon phase, so we have to be selective when we take Wild Blue out of the slip... two days ago, she was pretty close to sitting on the bottom at the lowest part of the tide.  Well, more like close to sitting on the seagrass  on the bottom.  Part of clean-up day is dumping Wild Blue's holding tank; Joan checked the tide charts and said, "Not between 11am and 5pm, today."

It was raining when we first got up, but by 9:30 or so, it stopped.  We decided to take advantage of the break in the precip and get 'er done.  On the way over to the pump out station, we had 4.5 feet under the hull at the shallowest point.  On the way back, that was down to 3.5... and, we weren't over there that long.  Or, maybe, I just found a skinnier spot?

I cleaned the motor and put water on while Joan gathered up the laundry.  Today was also "cat box day" and "rug day."  I think I had the better detail, since you only have to get down on your hands and knees to clean the rugs...


Last year, I won that C-Dory rug at the Friday Harbor C-Brat gathering.  One of our friends said, "I hope you like lint."  I wasn't sure what that meant, until we put that rug in front of the cabin door... it is a lint magnet.  But, when it is clean, it looks sharp.

I live on a boat with two blondes.  "Is Joan good with that?" you're wondering.  Yes, in fact, she insists on it.  Of course, the other blonde is Izzy.  What's that?  You think she's gray?  No, Joan is blonde... oh, and Izzy is blonde, too.  Under those gray stripes is a very blonde cat.  I call her "blonde with gray highlights."  Izzy, not Joan.  Don't try to get me in trouble, I do that fine on my own.

"So, why are you telling us about this blonde stuff?"  Thank you for asking.  If you think the C-Dory rug is a lint magnet, you should see what it does with blonde hair.  Our small vacuum cleaner doesn't do much... a damp cloth is the best way to de-fur that rug.

The carpet that runs the length of the floor in the cabin gathers hair, too.  I clean that with Izzy's wire brush.  I can't use that on the C-Dory mat because it would snag on the white stitching on the lettering.

Before heading to the laundromat, Joan wipes down and uses our Dollar Store "sucker" to get the last bit of water in the bilge.  It's a boat; it rains here; we get condensation... there's always some water somewhere that needs to get gone.

Joan made us a real breakfast this morning, and I will take her out for a late lunch/early supper when she gets back from doing laundry.

Unlike our previous jobs, we don't get to do lunch together here very often, so this is a treat.  I generally take my lunch to eat on the boat; Joan is working the front counter, and gets a bite if/when things slow down after the first boat goes out.

We like Friday Harbor - you can walk to lunch or the store.  Together.  On our day off.  That's my favorite part. :-)


1 comment:

Bill K said...

You do have a way with words, Thanks for the laugh. :))