Friday, August 9, 2013

Eventful day...


 Eventful good!

By the time I got to the other side of the island, the fog was just a memory - it was beautiful and sunny!  I checked our passenger load: almost half our guests on this trip are kids.  And, a VIP from our national whale watch association who was going to be videoing the boat handling around the whales.  Well, this should be fun.

During the safety talk, I made it a special point (since the adults were nearly outnumbered by the kids) to stress that "the boat is NOT a playground - two feet on the deck at all times, no climbing or hanging on the rails.  Any kids not following this will spend the rest of the trip in the cabin."  Not that the cabin is a punishment - it's very comfortable and the views are good; I was not going to tolerate any unsafe kid behavior.

Obviously, that made a difference: these kids were very well behaved.

The Orcas were on the southwest side of the island, and we had the current in our favor on the way there.  When we got to the whales, I did what I always do: assess the behavior and put our boat where I feel the guests will get the best viewing.  The guy doing the video was impressed with the boat handling.  The timing was perfect: not long after we were in position, we saw the first of several breaches.  As usual, we coordinated with the other whale watch boats so everyone got good views... again, our VIP complimented us on the handling.

The whales were moving, plenty of boats on the scene, I had my hands full, so I didn't get any whale photos.  The L-85s were putting on a good show.

Haro Strait was beautiful today - just enough "action" to make it interesting, but very comfortable for our guests.  Nearly calm where the whales were, so perfect for viewing.

A shot of our naturalist Aimee visiting with guests while being videoed...


Lots of boats going in and out of Roche Harbor today - the height of the season.

---------------------------------

And the best part of the day:  It's NGD!

NGD = New Guitar Day

I ordered a guitar a few days ago, and have been tracking its trip to Friday Harbor.  Today was the day for scheduled delivery, but by the time I left for work, I hadn't seen the magic words: "out for delivery."  It was still on the mainland, according to the tracking.

I only had one trip today; while cleaning the boat, I got a call from the Blonde: "I have something in the office waiting for a very spoiled guy."  I'm pretty sure she meant there was a guitar waiting for me!

I dropped my gear off at the boat and went to our office.  Yep, a guitar sized box was there.  I looked the box over - no obvious sign of damage.  Joan gave me a box cutter, and I unveiled what was waiting inside: it's a Rainsong Shorty, a Limited Edition.  Joan encouraged me to order this one because it has shark inlays as fret markers on the neck.  I wanted it because it is made of carbon fiber (not affected by changes in humidity or temperature) and should be an outstanding guitar for our travels.

I opened the case... it is a charcoal gray and very glossy; abalone inlay on the frets (the sharks) and around the soundhole.  On the sides and back, you can see the carbon fiber material, under the glossy finish.  Very pretty... in a non-wood, classy, almost industrial kinda way.

Joan said, "Try it out."  It didn't take much encouragement - I have been very anxious to get my hands on this beauty.  It sounds GREAT!  Some have said this model sounds "piano-like," and I totally get that.  Wonderful clarity with each note.  It is going to be a very nice addition to my guitar "stable."

Two of the other girls in the office asked if I'd play something for them... "Well, you are doing business here, but... OK."

"I didn't know you could sing and play like that!"  Truth be told, they didn't know I could play at all... unless Joan has been talking.

I brought the guitar back to the boat and called the dealer to let him know it was here and in perfect shape.  I got the camera out to take a couple photos...



Yes, that is my reflection in the guitar... I did mention "glossy."  One day, I'll get around to some better detailed images... later.  I just wanted to put this thing through some paces.

The back...


Being a "wood guitar guy," I have to say I really like the look of that carbon fiber material!

A close up of the neck and soundhole (and the sharks)...



I like this guitar!  It plays great, sounds amazing.  The neck shape is different from what I am used to, so that will take a bit of "conditioning"... I developed a muscle cramp after playing for an hour or so.

Little Izzy sat by me while I was playing, so she obviously approves.  So does the Blonde.  So do I.  :-)


3 comments:

Lost Petrel said...

SWEEET! It is a beauty

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Tim - plays nice, too. The tone is different from my wood guitars; it will add some interesting versatility.

Kevin in Ashland said...

Beautiful new Ax Did not know they were being made in Carbon! Love the sharks! Enjoy your blog.