Saturday, August 3, 2013

A good day on the water...

We didn't see Orcas today.  It seems that our resident Orcas are off on summer vacation.  I am well aware that guests take our trips with the expectation of seeing Orcas in their natural environment.  People frequently ask if we "guarantee" they will see Orcas... um, no, they are wild animals.  They travel 70 to 100 miles in a day.  And, sometimes, they go away for a while.

We still had a great time on the water today.  Yesterday, I drove about half the trip in the rain, and the guests on the boat still had a great trip.  Attitude makes the difference.  I am up-front with our guests and explain the current situation/reports.  I let them know what my plan is.  And, I explain that the San Juan Islands are spectacularly beautiful, and there is other wildlife we will see.

Today, we saw 3 Minke whales, the first one was less than 10 minutes outside of Friday Harbor (not typical).  We saw eagles.  Stellar Sea Lions, in the water and on the rocks (they are big).  Plenty of harbor seals and some harbor porpoise.  Lots of different waterfowl.  The currents and eddies in and around Cattle Pass.  A huge eagles' nest.  Beautifully calm water in Haro Strait.  A lighthouse.  Differences in the terrain along the shoreline.

Someone asked about "the Pig War"... I'm pretty sure my young naturalist onboard thought I was around in 1859, so I took a few minutes to explain that 13 year "war," and talked about American Camp and British Camp.

We talked about the salmon.  Found more Minke whales.  The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day on the water.  It was our privilege to share it with the guests on our boat.

Back at the dock, we put the boat away and headed for the office.  I've been trying to "get friendly" with that pretty blonde in the middle of this photo...


This was the only photo I had time to shoot today. ;-)


No comments: