Monday, August 26, 2013

Transients...

My first report before coming in to work said there were whales... out at Race Rocks.  Which is past Victoria.  And, they're moving west.  As in: away from us.

I went in early to put some fuel on, thinking I would put the hammer down and get my guests to the whales.  Then, before we boarded our people, another report... closer!  And, they weren't moving very fast.

If you had been there, you would have seen my happy dance.  ;-)

We loaded up the guests, I did a safety talk, told them my plan, and we shoved off.  The weather weasels said it would be a high of 70º today and partly cloudy... barely made it to 60º, and it sprinkled about half the time out on the water.  Last week of August, and I had 4 layers on... and could have used one more.

There were 4 boats on scene when we got there - easy to find a good place to view the transient Orcas...


The whales were focused today: moving in a relatively straight path, and taking deep dives between the surfacing.  They had changed direction, and were moving south.

More boats arrived.  You've heard me talk about a "conga line" - here's what that looks like...


They were on the other side of the whales.  Our position put us in a great place to view, but we had to keep pace with them.  The boats on our side...


A couple more views...




No comments: