Wednesday, August 14, 2013

When it rains, it pours...

Another long day at the helm today.  Nice people onboard.  I can tell it is getting close to the end of the season: my young first mates are wearing out.  Truth be told, we are all wearing out, but I'll be damned if I'll ever let them know. 

To add to the fun, it started to rain midway through our last trip... on a boat with an open flybridge.  A few of the guests were under the covered seating outside the cabin, but most of them were IN the cabin.  I am pretty sure my Mother taught me when to come in out of the rain... but, with this boat, you are just exposed to the weather.  It was cold and wet, and I just had to chuckle: a grown man standing in the rain.  Oh sure, I had on raingear... but I still took a pelting in the face.  It was a bit like riding a motorcycle in my younger days... you know, back when you thought you were invincible... or not smart enough to realize you weren't.

18 days.  After this weekend, the hours should be easier.  I sure hope so.  Don't tell anyone I said that!




  


--------------------

On edit:  Mine is a glamorous job.  I forgot to mention the other fun stuff.  On the way back to the marina, the first mate said to me, "I think someone plugged up the head - it smells pretty musty in the cabin."

Will the fun never end?

Yep, someone plugged it up.  Of course, part of that problem was the fact that someone pulled like crazy on the lid of the toilet before the vacuum released... it pulled the gasket out of the lid.  I cleared the line, fit the gasket back in, and flushed it with lots of water.  Then sprayed the entire compartment down with a sanitizer and told the mate, "All you have to do is wipe it down."

I thought I might get by without washing down the deck since it was raining... nope, someone apparently couldn't hit their mouth with their Doritos.  It seems that chips, after being walked on and softened with rainwater turn to a paste... it took extra flushing with the hose to get that loose... while standing in the rain.

When people say, "You have the best job," I just smile and say, "Yep, I sure do."


No comments: