Saturday, November 16, 2013

Trying to reason...

... with a damn GoPro camera.

Just a heads up for anyone reading this: this post is going to get lengthy.  I know, because I am in the process of editing 140 GoPro images.  I edit and work up images as I go.  There may be swearing.

I have to say, I am not really a fan of the GoPro.  BUT, I have it, the money's been spent, I keep trying to find a decent use for this modern day equivalence of a pin-hole camera.  Today, I decided to put the camera on "take a photo every 10 seconds" and I'll mount it on my helmet... we're going to ride the road right along the water through Rockport and Fulton.  If this works, it will give you an idea of what we see while we're riding... and, it is a beautiful ride.

The first thing you have to do: set the camera to take a photo every 10 seconds.  Easier said than done, since the screen is so damn small you can't read it.  Oh, they try to make it easier by putting the incredibly small type as dark gray on a gray background.  I like to start every session with the GoPro with the obligatory photo up my nose...


Well, this isn't working.  I'll get my phone out, connect to the camera through wifi, and be able to read that screen and set the camera...


Oh yeah, that's a lot better.  I watch it count down through a couple 10 second cycles, just to make sure it's working, then get the helmet on.  Nice view of the sky...


"Joan, can you see if this damn camera is counting down?"


"You're 4 feet away - too far for me to see that little screen."

Welcome to my world.  I turn off the bike and mess with the helmet and camera...


Yeah, it's counting...


Seriously, I intensely dislike this camera.  It's running - let me get my helmet back on...


Are we parked on a hill??  I need to adjust my helmet...


That's a great shot - that will be nice on this year's Christmas card.  OK, let's go.  Oh, look, it's a shot of the street...


That really shows what a neat little town Rockport is - they have streets.  Seriously, Joan, can you see if the camera is counting down?


Aw, it doesn't matter, let's just ride.

Now, we're at the really pretty part...


The view of the water is really beautiful; I hope I'm turning my head enough to get it all in...



For your viewing pleasure, I've edited out 40 or 50 shots that show nothing but road.




Seriously, the water view is really pretty here.  The stupid extreme wide angle is providing a great shot of the road immediately in front of the bike.  You can kinda see the water off to the right.  It's a very pretty bay.  Even on an overcast day like today.  If you could see it.

Joan, does this look level?


Look, it's the marine store!


Maybe I need to turn my head more to see the water... nope, palm trees.


More road...





You can kinda see the water, off to the right...


Yeah, lots more editing.  If you think the above had a "sameness" to it, you should have seen all the images I tossed.  I have to say, the photos don't look like this on GoPro's website.    Seriously, I'm about done with this crap.

Oh, look, you can see the water!


One in a row!  No, wait - two in a row...


Two out of 140 or so... not what I'd call a good "keeper ratio."  Time to pull off...


I just need to turn the camera off.  There, I think it's off.  Nope, that's the sky again...


Oh, I forgot: you can't turn the camera off until you get one last shot up your nose...


I put the GoPro away, and we headed out of town, towards Goose Island.  Lots of fishing camps and some great bike roads...


I should note, from the photo above, I was shooting with my little point & shoot camera - the one with a screen so you can see what you're shooting.  We drove back into Rockport and had lunch at the Poor Man's Country Club.  We could see the tents for Market Days, so that was the next stop...



Lots of booths.  Nothing we needed, but fun to look around.  It sprinkled a bit while we were walking through the booths.  Not enough to get you wet, but the vendors were pulling their wares under cover.

More riding around.  If you live in Corpus, you are probably familiar with this Vietnamese restaurant...


I thought my Louisiana friends would appreciate that.  Something else they might appreciate...


They closed the door on that semi before I could get turned around.  They were loading oysters in huge bags with a forklift.  Louisiana oysters?


Oysters and shrimp, fresh off the boats...


We stopped to check out some winter visitors...


This is what the local pelicans look like...


Look close on the wings on these white pelicans - you can see the black tips on their wings...



It's getting to be the season.  Joan did a little Christmas shopping at the Market Days.  I enjoy seeing the Christmas decorations with the palm trees...


On the way back, this Albin trawler caught my eye...


It's for sale.  It would be an expensive endeavor, getting this thing to the PNW.  Nevermind.

Some more scooting around, then back to the HitchHiker to settle in for the evening.  And waiting for us: sweet little Izzy on her perch by the window...




2 comments:

CampingCaptain said...

Izzy has a look that says, "Where have you been all day? Don't you know I worry when you're gone all day like that?"

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Yeah, Bryan... that, or we may have woke her. ;-) I really like being in the HitchHiker - she is sitting by me on the couch right now! Such a sweet little furry girl.