Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Where do you mount the fishing poles??


It was 78º and calm when I got up this morning.  Humid.  It is supposed to be another warm one today; thought I'd take advantage of the no-wind situation and get some paddling in.  The canal looked like a mirror... it's been a while since I've seen that.

Towards the end of our canal, two guys came out on an overlooking deck... "I didn't hear a motor on that - had to come see what it is."

"No," I said, "You might hear my heart pounding, but no motor."

"Is that a pretty good work out?"

"Yeah - but it is an interesting way to do it."

"Where do you put fishing poles on that thing?"

I chuckled to myself... if there is any kind of water conveyance down here, local folks automatically assume you must be fishing with it.  It took a couple years for neighbors to stop asking me, "What'd you catch?" when we came in from a day of sailing.  ;-)

I told him, "I've seen these things rigged for fishing - not for me, though.  I'm working as hard as I can to just stay upright."

Here's an example...


Notice, those guys have a cooler to sit on, though.  I'm not a fishing kinda guy, but I could just see myself falling onto a bunch of hooks!

I finished my "laps," then went to work cleaning the board and the inflatable dinghy.  With the nasty wind we had over the weekend, both of those things looked brown instead of white.  They look nice now!

Joan went to the store while I was out on the board.  She said, "Town is back to normal - not much traffic."  Over the weekend, the traffic was thick - in town, across the causeway, and on SPI.  We found out there was a kite surfing expo going on; they had plenty of wind.  And heat.

Record heat in the Valley on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday in many places... 15º cooler here on the coast.  Mid to upper 80s here, over 100º inland.  Normal temp for us this time of year is about 80º.

Water temp is in the mid-70s... nice for paddling.


No comments: