Friday, April 18, 2014

We should be more like this kid...


Perspective, once again.

I got out earlier on my paddleboard today - overcast, but no thunderstorms.  Izzy wasn't concerned because it was 2 hours from her next feeding time.  Joan didn't come out of the house with a camera.  I guess it's old hat now.

I launched the board and shoved away from the dock.  The wind was light, maybe 2 or 3 mph.  I felt more confident upright.  The end of our canal didn't look as far away.  I wound up covering about 4 times the distance of my previous outings.  I'm sure I'll feel it in my shoulders and stomach later, but the only thing that felt overworked: my toes... from trying to grip right through my water shoes to hold on tight to the board!  I kept telling myself: "Self, relax your stance... bend your knees... keep your eyes up and ahead... quit gripping with your toes... no, seriously, self, knock it off with the toes thing!"

The past outings, a neighbor or two has said something.  Today, you would think it was a parade: "Hey - you're getting better on that thing!" (Never saw that lady looking before)... "Look at you go!" (I was traveling at the speed of a land-based leisurely stroll)... "That looks like a good workout - what does one of those things cost?" (That was from a guy who I've never seen out of his chair on his deck)... "Didja get wet, yet?" (I smiled and said, "Not yet" - no sense poking at karma).

I decided to push it and take a third "lap"

I wound up paddling between two guys who were having a conversation across the canal...
"Did you hear about Don?" (Not the real name)

"No, what about him?"

"He had a heart attack yesterday - he's dead."

"That's too bad.  How old was he?"

"75."

"75?  I'll be 75 in two months!"

"Yeah.  Maybe we need to get more exercise - like this kid here."

I looked around to see who they were talking about... he was pointing at me.  Kid? 

The wind was starting to build... from 2 or 3, up to about 8 to 10.  8 to 10 here is pretty much considered "calm."  Nevertheless, I decided to head for home.

I paddled by a guy getting his boat ready to take his two grandsons out fishing... "Hey, mister, that sure looks like fun!"

"It is!"  I didn't tell him that I was running out of steam.

As I got close to our place, Joan came to the edge of the deck.  She asked how it was going, we were visiting, I stopped paddling... I didn't fall in, but I went quickly to my knees as I lost my balance and braced myself with my hands towards the front of the board.  The nose dipped in, and I was suddenly up to my elbows in water.  Felt like I was going to go over the front of the board... but, it paused for a moment, then settled back to reasonably level.  Joan said, "Did I distract you?"

"No.  Well, maybe.  I was going to get on my knees to come up to the dock - it just happened a bit soon than I planned."

I took a few moments at the dock before cleaning up the equipment... time spent trying to uncurl my toes.  ;-)


No comments: