Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Life in the slow lane...


We slept in this morning.  Really.  7:30.  Even Izzy was still sleeping when I opened my eyes.  Felt good.  Joan goes back to work tomorrow; I think they gave me the day off because I worked on Monday.  I have some househusband chores to do, so tomorrow will not be a lounging day for me... and Joan will be the breadwinner.

But, today... Joan made us a nice hot breakfast.  I got to play my guitar.  Izzy got to go for a walk.  By afternoon, we had some errands to run, so we geared up for the scoots.  A beautiful sunny day.  Very little breeze.  You could be outside without a jacket.

While getting the errands done, I picked up the current scooter tag: your scoot at a bank drive thru...


The new tag is one I got the other day...


Your scoot with A YELLOW SUBMARINE!!

No, not really.  The idea isn't to make it hard to get... you want people to play.  The real tag is: your scooter with ANYTHING you can relate to the Beatles.  Time for the scooter folks to get creative.

You're thinking: "Why is there a yellow submarine in the middle of the island?"  That's a really good question.  There is a big pineapple shed near it.  I think this land owner has a sense of humor and whimsey.  There are a lot of unique personalities on this island.

I love this place.  Not for the whimsey.  It is just so darn beautiful.  One would expect all the gorgeous water views from an island, but the interior of the island is just as pretty: lots of heavily wooded areas, open fields, small lakes and ponds, fancy homes and rustic cabins.  And, for a two-wheel enthusiast: all these great curvy roads.  If ever I have been somewhere that looks like it was designed for scooter pilots, this is the place.  Oh, it will get thick with tourists soon enough, but right now, the roads are blissfully unoccupied.  Scooter nirvana.

After the errands and lunch (at a real burger joint, Vic's), we decided some scooting was in order.  Joan wanted to eventually work our way to the Alpaca farm again; yes, we really like the alpaca socks.

The riding was great.  No, I won't inundate this post with a gazillion photos shot from the scooter (like yesterday).  Well, OK, just one of the Blonde on the road by our site...


A great day for riding.  And playing scooter tag.  And just being out and about.

-------------------

On edit: friends Herb and Wilma were in Friday Harbor this evening.  I made a trip to the marina to see them - they will be heading "north to Alaska" over the next couple of months, and knew this might be our last get-together for a while.


They have their Ranger Tug 31 equipped for the trip, and they are ready to go.  I am excited for them!  Bon voyage!

As I was leaving their boat, the "Orca Plane" (from Kenmore Air) was taxiing out - cool paint scheme...


Lotta folks around here who think the Orcas are pretty cool.  :-)


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

Sure seems like The Blonde works a lot more than you do.....
Just sayin.......

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

That would be an accurate statement, Mark. By choice. Joan's choice for her hours, my choice for mine. Her job can be scheduled in advance... mine depends on her filling seats for scheduled trips, and charters as they come up. I may see more time off early in the season, but I'll make up for that as the season progresses.

Our goal is to work the same days (didn't happen this past week, with the holiday), so we have the same days off.