Friday, January 15, 2016

My rapper name...


Hello, Flo.  No, that's not my rapper name.  Flo Rida was on the Today Show this morning.  I remember the first time I ever heard that name...

I was doing a short stint at the local island newspaper, working on a Spring Break article.  My official title there was "editorial assistant."  It meant I did a bit of everything, except selling advertising.  Mostly, I did the arts & entertainment stuff.  Spring Break is a big deal on South Padre Island, and I had to write some promo pieces on some of the upcoming feature entertainment.

Considering my music tastes lean towards: not much good music has come out since the 60s and 70s, I thought that was a strange assignment for me.  So, I took to the internet to find out some information.  There was a snicker that ran through the youngsters in the office when I asked, "Has anyone heard of this Florida person?  And why the hyphen?"  At that time, Flo Rida was Flo-Rida.

One of our young layout guys said, "It isn't Florida, it is Flo Rida!"  Having this information didn't make me feel any less old.  So, I looked up Flo-Rida... rap music.  Kind of an oxymoron from my perspective.  I listened to enough of it to be able to write a promo piece.

I still chuckle when I think of, or hear about, Flo Rida.  It makes me think I need to update my stage name... Captain Jim doesn't sound hip and happenin'.  I am going with: I Owa... pronounced: eye oh' wha.

Coming soon to a music venue near you: I Owa.

Yeah, I like it.


No comments: