Thursday, June 2, 2016
We picked up the Honda this morning... took the motorhome and cargo trailer to the service place, to make sure it all "plays nice" together.
The first step was dropping the cargo trailer and hooking the Honda up to the Aspect. Things have changed a lot since we last towed an SUV behind a motorhome... there are a lot of things to hook-up. It looks like a very nice installation. We tested the lights - all good - and went for a test ride to see how the Honda does behind the motorhome. Again, all good. The brake controller is interesting: it uses a combination of electrics (from the brake lights) and inertia (where it senses you are slowing) to apply the brakes in the towed vehicle (the CR-V). There is a potentiometer that allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the inertia. Sounds complicated, but seems to work slick.
Then, back to the service lot, where we hooked up the cargo trailer behind the Honda, which is behind the motorhome...
The service guy said, "You have quite a wagon train here!"
It seems like a lot, but the length is actually a bit shorter than the truck/5th wheel/cargo trailer set up we used to use.
There was a small glitch when hooking up the cargo trailer, but a quick trace showed it to be the connector on the trailer, not anything related to the work the service place did. The service guy, cleaned the connection, put a dab of dielectric grease on it, and we were good to go. Well, we assume we are - it isn't legal to double tow in Arizona unless the middle conveyance is a 5th wheel. So, when we get to Nevada, we'll know for sure.
We had to add a hitch riser to the coach and the Honda, to keep things level. We have a LOT more locks and keys now. And hitch pins. And connectors.
The rear view camera on the Aspect is going to get more use.