Friday, November 25, 2016

Dolphin Friday...


When I pulled up Facebook this morning, the "memory" it put up was from 4 years ago: instead of fighting crowds for Black Friday shopping, we were out on the boat looking at dolphins.

Some things don't change.  I waited for Joan to get up this morning, to see if she wanted to join me for a morning cruise.  Nope, she had cleaning she wanted to do - best with me out of the way.

"Izzy, do you want to go out on the boat?"


"Tryin' to work on a nap here."

OK, I'm heading out solo.  I took the cover off and got the boat ready.  Joan came out to give me a shove off the dock, and I started down our canal...


Around 8:30, so well after the sunrise and the pretty morning light.  Clouds to the southwest, making for some very contrasty light...


Once again, I didn't get through the turning basin before seeing dolphins...


Orca whales aren't the only ones who do a spy hop to look around...


I maneuvered the boat to get on the other side, with better light...


Underwater, right by the boat...


And, above water - in front...


Off the stern...


Off the side...


Well, that was fun.  I left the turning basin, heading south; looks like there could be some weather to the southwest...


Ahead of me, too far to get photos, I could see a couple dolphins jumping completely out of the water!  I didn't want to spook them by running fast towards them, so I just enjoyed the jumping prowess from afar.  By the time I got there, the activity was done.  Well, mostly done...


This dolphin seemed to be getting a kick out of spooking the pelicans.

I turned east, pointing towards the blue sky...


Looking north, the Queen Isabella Memorial Causeway, over the Laguna Madre...


Yep, another good time for a "once around."  I timed it to go through the swingbridge on their 10:00 opening.  Another boater had asked for an opening 10 minutes early, and the bridge told him, "We will open it for you on the hour."

"Yeah, well you opened it for me when I asked yesterday!"

"Yesterday was a holiday.  10 minutes."

No use trying to argue with the bridge tender.  ;-)


I have mentioned the "flats" fishing boats around here...


Looks like a raft with a motor.

Coming back in our canal, a lady waved from her upper deck on a Sea Cottage - "You have an Okoboji shirt!  Are you from Iowa?"

Born and raised there.  And, enjoying one of my Okoboji wardrobe pieces...


;-)



No comments: