Sunday, August 19, 2018

Let the water flow...


I listened to the steady pitter-patter of rain on the roof of the motorhome during the night.  No, the rain didn't bother me... but, I knew I had to be up early this morning.  Not just up, but dressed to get out.  The 21 days in the RV site we are in has passed quickly, and tomorrow we are scheduled to go into the Meadowlands (known by some regulars here as Purgatory Flats).

The only thing the Meadowlands are lacking is sewer hookups - where the rest of the park is paved with level double-width concrete sites, the sites in the Meadowlands are gravel.  We put out a patio mat when we were there last time - it helps keep the grub from the gravel out of the coach.  But, the big issue there is the no sewer... you use water differently, more conservatively, when you know each flush of the toilet or each time you do dishes may be the amount of water that moves your tank monitor from 2/3 to full... which means you will be unhooking, pulling in the slides, pulling up the leveling jacks to go a couple hundred yards to the sewer dump site... and then back to your site to set up again.

I was amazed that we were able to go the 9 days last time without having to unhook to dump tanks.  Only because we used the nearby shower house instead of using our own shower.  Not a big inconvenience, but we much prefer to use our own.

Last time we went to the Meadowlands, I was told that you can check in at the registration desk the day before your move to see if there is anything available "on top" (what those in the Meadowlands call the regular nice sites.  I was also told at that time that there was nothing available - not a big deal, because we were ready to make the move.

So, this morning, I was on my way to the Lodge (where the registration desk is located) so I'd be there at 7:00.  Yes: AM.  Being the ever-prompt guy I am, I was there 5 minutes early... the door was locked... there is a bit of a roof over the entrance to keep me out of the rain, but not the cold wind.  A nice lady was dropped off by her husband in a golf cart; she asked me, "What are you doing here waiting in this weather?"  I explained the "Meadowlands situation," and she said, "Well, we can't wait on you until we get our computers up, but come inside and get out of this weather."  As I said: a nice lady.

While I waited, they got things opened up and started looking for an available site for the 9 days... from the sound of their conversation, it wasn't looking good.  If there wasn't a site available, it wouldn't be a big disappointment.  They continued to look.  "Do you have a pet?" one of them asked.

"Yes, we have a cat."

"Ohhhh.  I found a site in the non-pet area.  Let me look some more."

After a bit, the nice lady who let me in asked, "How long is your RV?"  The sites here are "all the same"... except for the ones that aren't.  With a shorter motorhome, we can fit anywhere.  "I do have one site that I found, but it is a bit shorter than most.  You should fit on it with no problem."

Success!  We will still be making a move tomorrow, but we won't have to go into the gravel, AND we can use water the way we normally do.  Joan was pleased when I came home with the good news.  She said, "That's great - I don't much care to 'dry camp'."  Well, having water, electricity, and cable TV isn't exactly "dry camping."  ;-)  We both chuckled; you get used to all the amenities.

In the grand scheme of things, going into the Meadowlands isn't a big deal... but, for the same cost per night, if we can be on pavement and have a sewer connection, why not go for that?

A chilly day here today; the wind is blowing around 20mph from the NNW, spitting rain, and the high will only be 65º... I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.  ;-)


No comments: