Thursday, August 30, 2018

Once is a first - the second time is the start of a trend...


Rufus has been doing a good job walking on his leash.  I walk him most of the time, Joan walks him once in a while.  Last night was a first.

Let me say: none of our cats have gone to the bathroom outside.  If Izzy had to go potty while we were outside, she would go to the door and meow to go in... she'd do her business in her little box, then go back to the door to go outside again.  Molly would just hold it until we came inside.  Rufus has been following Molly's example... until last night.  While walking, he stopped, sniffed around a bit, hunkered down, and dropped a big steaming pile of poop.  I was shocked.

No, I didn't have a bag with me - haven't needed one until this moment.  RV parks are insistent about "picking up after your pet."  We were on our way back to the coach, when he did his business about 100 yards away.  I "memorized" where in the grass he made the deposit, and hustled him back to the coach - to put him inside AND get a bag to go back and pick up the poop.  It was getting dark, so I took a flashlight.  Even with the flashlight, and knowing the general vicinity (it was close to the only puffy dandelion in that huge area of grass).  Literally, it took me about a half hour to find it.  While looking, a lady walked by with her dog and said, "Kinda hard to find diamonds in the dark."

Funny.  I almost said, "No shit," but somehow managed to bite my tongue.  I just knew the neighbors were watching, and there was no way I was going back to the coach until I found that pile of "diamonds."

This evening, after we got back from a nice scooter ride, I took Rufus for another long(ish) walk.  Joan had tied a bag to the leash; before we left, she told Rufus, "Be sure to poop outside again!"  (She handles the litter box duties, so this means less "back end" work.  Yes, I manage the "front end."  We have a system.)

Rufus walked just fine.  Joan came out on the patio to watch us, until we got out of site.  On the way back, in roughly the same vicinity as last night's "deposit," Rufus stopped, sniffed around, and hunkered down again.  This time, I had the bag at the ready, and picked it up.  Yes, it was still warm.  Want any more details?  Joan praised him as we got close to the coach.

I think we have a new routine.

---------

Now, regarding that scooter ride today: a round-about way to Custer for lunch, then back via Custer State Park and Iron Mountain Road.  Love it!

I took photos (of course) and played around a bit with some video (helmet cam again).

After some fun curvy stuff, we passed by Mt Rushmore.




Some video - you can turn the sound on this time, if you want...




Lunch at Black Hills Burger & Bun Co...


Through Custer State Park on the way back...


A wide load coming right through the park...



A turn onto Iron Mountain Road  on the other side of the park...


Yeah, there are some leaves changing at the 5,000' elevation (above).



Back through Keystone...


The twisties, then back home...






No comments: