Friday, September 16, 2011

Changes...


Well, there's a change in the weather today - beginning to feel like winter. Mid afternoon, and it's only 52º here. Light rain.


Another change - I got a new phone. I've been using a Droid, the first one that was released through Verizon, almost 2 years ago. It died last week. I went into the Jackson Verizon retailer, with the intent to buy an iPhone. The salesman began to list off all the reasons I didn't want to do that.

I listened politely and said, "I came in here to buy an iPhone. Here's the plan: you pull a 32 gig iPhone 4 out of the drawer, I give you a credit card, you set up my phone, I sign the receipt, you hand me the phone, I leave. Easy."

He went on. Joan finally said, "Do you even have an iPhone in stock?"

"Um, not the 32 gig. And we're not going to get anymore. I can't tell you why."

"You can't tell us because it's a secret, or because you don't know?" I asked.

"I can't say."

I assumed it had something to do with the new iPhone 5 which is supposed to be released next month... or the month after that... or... well, you know.

He went on to say why the newest Droids are far superior to the iPhone.

"I'd like to use it as my updated iPod, as well," I told him.

Moot point, since they don't have one in stock. Joan said, "You need a phone. We're here. Get the 16 gig iPhone or go for the Droid Bionic, and let's go."

I left the store with the Bionic, knowing I now have the latest, greatest, fastest, bestest smart phone in the world... for the next 12 minutes or so... until the newest bestest comes out.

I have to say, this phone is WAY faster than my original Droid. I lost all my contacts and apps, because my phone was old enough that they didn't offer the on-line info back-up when I got mine two years ago. I'd like to get the Navionics app back, but most of the rest of the apps I use are freebies.

Our phone service out here in the boonies is lousy, but this phone got a signal when neither of our other phones could.

Here's another photo I took today with that phone, of an F-boat being set up in the parking lot...


Seems to be a better camera than what was on the original Droid.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, on the way back to the park, Joan said, "I need to upgrade my phone when we leave here... I think I'll get an iPhone."

And another change coming: 3 days left before the marina closes, on Sunday, September 16th. I'll be driving my last scenic cruise on Sunday afternoon. And hopefully we will be able to get out of here before it snows!

No comments: