Thursday, September 8, 2011

It works!


After the breakfast meeting, I got out for a motorcycle ride. Down to Jenny Lake, there is still plenty of traffic in the park. All the parking spots at Jenny Lake and by the marina in Colter Bay were full. Surprising, but good.

Lunch after the ride, and then a short nap. Glorious! I loaded up the Hobie and headed for the lake - time to test the furler in "the real world." Not much wind today, but enough to tack all around the marina, working my way through the mooring balls; then out into the bay. Here's the furler...


I may have to paint it black to make it look "professional." But, it works. And for less than $4, I can roll the sail up in about 2 seconds...


To make sure that it will function when needed, I rolled it in and out a bunch of times. It rolls better on the "furler drum" if you keep a small bit of tension on the line when you pull the sail out with the main sheet. And there is considerably less wind resistance when pedaling into the wind with the sail furled.

Here's a look at the sail when opened...


As I was coming back into the marina, I could hear the 3 female staff in kayaks on their way out: "Maybe he needs to be rescued?" "Does that sail thing work?" "Do you think he can hear us from here?"

No. Yes. And definitely YES. Just for the fun of it, I put my feet back in the pedals and ran circles around them. It was after rental hours, so the three of them were just having fun... it's been a long, tough season - they deserve it. Two of this crew arrived after we were up and running and didn't get in on our "pre-season kayak training." Of course, there was the inevitable water fight, started with the first splash from a paddle... I stayed away from that. It's a beautiful afternoon, and great to be able to be on the water.


I loaded up the kayak, visited with one of the other captains and first mates, then headed for home. It smelled great in the coach - Joan has been slow cooking a pork roast, and I get pulled pork for supper!

Little Izzy got her 3rd walk in today, and played "jungle cat"...


Nice day off; back to the grind tomorrow, but no more 6:30 am boat prepping!

No comments: