Monday, September 12, 2011

One week to go...


Yesterday (Sunday, 9/11) put us at the one week mark. The crowds are definitely getting smaller; we are going out on the cruise boat with about half capacity, and that is to be expected. On our 1:30 cruise, we had an unusual situation: only 4 people signed up. The accepted company policy is we are supposed to have at least 6 passengers to go out. I stepped outside to explain the situation to the 4 folks who were waiting... I really don't like to disappoint anyone and hoped we'd be able to reschedule them to the next cruise (which already had 20 people booked).

Both couples had other plans and were clearly disappointed. I told them that we had a few minutes before boarding and we'd wait until the last minute. That time came and went, no other bookings... before going back outside, I pleaded the case to the boss: "I understand this won't be a money-maker, but I have 4 people who really want to go on a cruise. Their fare will certainly pay for the fuel and maintenance reserve, and you are going to pay the 1st mate and captain salary even if we don't go out. Shall we make those 4 people happy?"

"If you're OK with it, go ahead."

The 4 nice people were delighted. I altered the route, took them into Moran Bay, we saw a bald eagle, and got them right up to the base of the mountains. I suggested to Tony (the first mate) that he could take them all out back and visit with them there. They were even more delighted. That left me in an empty cabin, certainly an unusual occurance...



And my view from the helm...


All the rest of the cruises were over half full... and nothing in our "rules" says we have to run the cruise the same way each time. Another nice day at my "office."

No comments: