Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Back home...

Wild Blue is back home. The seal kit for her hydraulic steering came in on schedule. By the time I got there, the mechanic had replaced the seals and was trying to bleed the lines. Well, he was actually swearing at the boat: "This #$%^&ing thing! I hate these *&^%$ing hydraulic steering systems!"

"Whoa, Dude! That is my beloved boat you are talking to! NO ONE talks to my sweet boat like that! What's the problem?"

Nothing would come out of lines when turning the wheel; and turning the wheel did NOT turn the motor. Yeah, that's a problem. I suggested we call Teleflex or C-Dory to see what they recommend. When Teleflex called back, the mechanic visited with them and said we should try turning the motor with the autopilot to see if it would move the motor. I talked sweet to Wild Blue and... the motor moved. Hydraulic fluid started coming out the bypass valve... "See? You just have to talk nice to her!"

It took another half hour of moving the helm back and forth to get the lines bled, and the movement with the wheel came back... just like she should be.

And tomorrow is a new day - a day for me to visit with another boat yard about getting her bottom painted. The "boat bucks" are disappearing fast. It's been a while - she deserves some sprucing up.

No comments: