Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Oops...

There was an "incident" this morning... nothing to do with a boat, other than being on one... seems that hot chocolate and a MacBook Pro do not play well together.  The computer is going to take a trip.  I am going to review my "drinking hot chocolate on the boat" policy.  That will be an expensive bit of tuition.  (Tuition: the cost for learning something)

Later, we were doing laundry.  While Joan stepped out, I was visiting with a guy in the marina laundromat.  We were both lamenting about the cost ($4 for a washing machine, $1 for 15 minutes of dryer time).  He mentioned that he normally does his laundry on another island, where the cost is about half, but the laundromat isn't as nice and has only 2 machines... and one usually doesn't work.

I asked, "Are you living on a boat here?"

He told me he lives on a small island.  When he said the name, I replied, "I didn't think anyone was living there.  I've gone by there several times, and haven't seen any activity."  When he found out where I was working, he told me that his ex-wife used to work at the same place and said, "I saw you go by on Sunday.  Was that you on the Kittiwake?"

Small world.  Small island.  I asked about power and water (solar, propane, and rain catching).  I asked if anyone else lived there... "Just me."

"Does it get lonely?"

"I'm pretty much an introvert."

I found myself feeling sorry for him, but he seemed quite content.  I need some human interaction.  He asked where we were staying.

"On our boat."

He saw the logo on my vest and said, "On a C-Dory?"  I could see that he was feeling a bit sorry for me.

Perspective.


2 comments:

Steele travel log said...

Jim
I dumped a half cup of coffee in my daughter's laptop, no cream or sugar. I pulled the battery, dryed everything I could, and was very lucky. After it came back up, she frantically backed up all her year long research data for her docterate. A lesson for all involved.

Bill

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bill,
I wasn't so lucky. The computer came back up... once. I have to say that working with Apple for service is generally impressive. I went down to the office today, and the FedEx lady was right on time with the return box. Hope the rest of this goes as easy. Excrement occurs... and I really stepped in it this time.