Monday, May 28, 2012

Time to make a trip...

No, not cruising, just a little morning walk to the nearby restrooms.  With a light rain, I put on my jacket, opened the camperback, and stepped out... there was a couple standing on the dock by the bow of our boat.

"You caught us checking out your boat - we just love C-Dorys."

My need wasn't urgent, so we stood in the rain (didn't my Momma teach me better than that??) and discussed the usual '22 vs 25' topic.  They were a very nice couple... when she heard that we were living on the boat for the summer, she let out a little pleasant sigh.

Joan and I were just discussing this... the two weeks that we've been based out of Friday Harbor has flown by.  We are doing fine on the boat, little Izzy loves to watch all the goings on outside the window, we like our "neighborhood," and it's hard to beat being able to walk to work (especially considering the price of gas and diesel on this island).

This holiday weekend gave us a preview of what weekends are likely going to be all summer here: a buzz of activity.  On the bright side, we are on a dock that doesn't have any transient slips, so there is considerably less walk-by traffic and noise.  Certainly, a few docks over, they are "dancing in the street"... um, on their boats.  We really don't hear much of it around us.

I got a call this morning from our boss, asking me to come in for a couple hours.  I thought it might be in regards to the fuel situation on the boat, but he wanted me to go over the boat "with fresh eyes" and offer any suggestions that would make the boat safer and more convenient.  I sure like that attitude.

With today being Memorial Day, there was a parade in Friday Harbor, followed by a gun salute and then a canon being fired.  Little Izzy didn't flinch when the canon went off, but still slinks when she hears voices. 

We walked uptown after lunch and found fresh baked cookies at the grocery store bakery.  Yeah, we're settling in.


No comments: