Monday, May 28, 2012

Well, the anchor works...

I was told the fuel selectors in the boat were "unusual"... two different selectors that have to be moved to switch tanks.  I switched tanks while underway and a few moments later heard that sound no boater wants to hear while underway... silence.

I was in a fairly narrow and protected channel, but the rocks on shore were getting closer.  I put out the anchor, then went to the trouble-shooting book.  No restart without first clearing the air in the injector lines.  I first set the fuel selectors back where they were (I dipped the tanks, so I knew we weren't out of fuel), then got out some wrenches.  Two guys in a small boat asked if I needed a hand... yep, if one of them could crack the injectors while I pumped, it would sure move the process along.  They passed the wrench back and forth while I pumped, watching the air bubbles come out.

It was only a few minutes, but seemed like forever.  I went back to the flybridge and cranked... that big ol' diesel sounded good.  The guys in the other boat eased us towards the anchor, making it easier to pull up.  Still, it was a beast.

When I talked to the owner about it, he said, "Everyone who drives that boat has an issue with those fuel selectors... once.  You got it out of the way early, and you handled the situation.  Good job."

Well, I was upset with myself that it even happened.  The only thing I can figure is that if the indicator isn't perfectly lined up with boat valves, it must cut off the fuel flow.

Lesson learned.

No comments: