Thursday, January 10, 2013

As long as we're discussing customer service...

There is a thread on the C-Brats forum discussing binoculars.  These get regular use on a cruising boat, and a good set is important.  About 5 years ago, we bought a set of Canon image stabilizing binoculars.  They weren't the "high end," but they did a great job.  Image stabilizing is nice to have on a moving boat.

A couple years ago, the exterior of those binoculars started feeling "sticky."  It was pretty apparent that the rubberized skin was disintegrating.  I contacted Canon Customer Service to ask if anything could be done for them.  I got a "we received your e-mail and you will be contacted within 48 hours" canned response.  No one ever followed up.

We have other binoculars on the boat, but over the past two years, I have contacted Canon Customer Service 5 more times... with the same result of no response from them beyond the canned "we received your e-mail..."  I would get a little ticked each time, then forget about it... until the next time I pulled out the binoculars or a discussion of binoculars would come up (as in the C-Brats forum).

I contacted Canon Customer Service again yesterday (got the canned response), but then got on a Canon users forum... and posted by situation.  This forum is set up by, and moderated by, Canon.  Yep, I got an immediate response that wasn't completely canned.  I also got the information I needed about the procedure to send the binoculars in for estimate and repair.

And then a follow up private message from a Canon rep who was checking into all the previous contacts I had made.  He has his work cut out for him, if he really intends to dig back over the past two years.  But, since he contacted me, I gave him some information so he could start looking.  Some things I just chalk up to poor or disinterested "customer service" and make a mental note to not buy anything from that company anymore.  Not really what I wanted to do with Canon, since we do have several Canon cameras that get a lot of use.

So, I'm glad this came back up.  The binoculars are on their way back to Canon.  We'll see where this goes.  I'm not holding my breath.


No comments: