Monday, January 21, 2013

Boat cleaning day in the Tropical Tip...

My buddy, Herb, offered me the use of his boat lift to clean Wild Blue's bottom - very gracious!  It allows me to do the work, instead of having the guys in the boat yard blast off my bottom paint (that I paid them last year to apply).  Herb's lift is a good size for Wild Blue...


(photo courtesy of Wilma Stark).  We crawled around, checking out the condition of the bottom, after 2 1/2 months in the warm salt water...


(photo courtesy of Wilma Stark)  I said, "It doesn't look bad!"  When I got under the boat with the power washer, I kinda changed my tune... what looked like slime was stuck on there pretty good; it took a lot of power, some scrubbing, and the loss of some bottom paint to get it off.

My friend, Charlie, asked why I didn't just get in the water to clean the bottom.  That is the way I usually do it.  Our unusual cold weather the past three weeks has dropped our water temp to around 60º... too darn cold for me to get in the water, even with a wetsuit!  Typically, I anchor in relatively shallow water and scrub with a long handled brush, allowing me to reach to the middle of the bottom.  It sounds primative, but it works well.

Using the power washer also works... although, trying to keep the dinghy in one place while the sprayer is blasting was a trick.  My shoulders will be feeling the effects of that in the morning.  I'm hoping Herb won't be sore... while I was the one in the dinghy, he was guiding it and feeding me line from the power washer.  I didn't mean for him to have to work, too.

Adding another interesting twist to working from a dinghy under the boat: the dinghy began to fill with water.  I thought, "Damn, I know I am getting water everywhere (especially all over me), but it didn't seem like I should be getting that much in the dinghy.  When Herb and I pulled the dinghy up on the dock afterwards, we could hear water running out... and the plug was still in.  Looking down, you could see daylight between the floor and the tubes of the inflatable!!  Yep, the glue it was assembled with had given up.  It all looked fine when I cleaned the dinghy yesterday.  Good thing it occurred while under the boat, cleaning, and not on a lumpy trip to shore from a far away anchorage!

The end result: I was a soggy mess.  I offered to take Herb and Wilma out for lunch, and called Joan to have her bring me some dry clothes.  Yes, I had a wetsuit in the boat... didn't think I was going to need it!

With the cleaning done, Herb lowered Wild Blue in the lift to make it easier to get on and off...




The four of us had a nice lunch at Pirate's Landing, with a view of the Laguna Madre.  Back to Herb's after lunch, some chit-chat, then plunking Wild Blue back into the water... trying to make the 3:00 bridge opening.  As I came under the causeway, there was an excursion boat sitting crossways, watching dolphins.  I slowed way down to not cause any stress to the dolphins... and just made the bridge opening!

Add another chore before we head out again with the boat: reglue all the seams on the dinghy!


10 comments:

Bill K said...

For what it's worth,
I bought a Caribe 10 RIB in 1995 and as of last summerthe glue is still holding.

It hang's on the back end of my big boat in the sun all summer but is covered with a tarp in the winter.

Bill Kelleher

BaseCampAnne said...

Interesting to see how you clever guys take care of your boats. Lots of work, but certainly practical and that way you are sure about how the bottom of your boat is, and today, your dinghy.

Did you clean the bottom of your boat in Friday Harbor?

Here divers seem to be working constantly and recommend every 3 weeks in warm water and 4 weeks now. For the 25 ft. It is $30.00 each time. I did not notice divers at Cap Sante but my boat needed cleaning.

I like how you manage to take care of your boat yourself!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bill - this is a WM/Zodiac PVC with a slat floor. It's 9 or 10 years old... some glue and it will have plenty more life. A RIB would be nice, but more weight and cost, and not as easy to store on top of our boat. A new bead of glue beats buying another inflatable. ;-)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Anne - $30 is cheap! I'll probably spend that much on ibuprofen! ;-) The bottom doesn't crud up nearly as fast in the cold water in the PNW. I had the bottom powerwashed at a boatyard in Anacortes when we pulled out.

Bill K said...

You sure have that right,if I can sell my boat I am still pretty sure I am going for a 22' C-Dory.

I hope to go down to Wefings in a couple of weeks to look at them. :))

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Good luck with the quest for a C-Dory, Bill. We were sailors before getting the CD. You will really like that enclosed helm and shallow draft.

Bill K said...

It will sure be different from what I have now, two expensive props at 4'8" of draft.

Bill Kelleher

Unknown said...

Wow its really nice blog. I missed this blog hop! Such a great idea. Sounds like a great read.

Residential Cleaning Services Mesa AZ

Unknown said...

Your blog is very nice. In fact I’m impressed. Thanks for sharing. Awesome ideas are always welcome.

Mansfield TX Upholstery Cleaning

Unknown said...

It's good that you found a way to clean your boat. I know some boat owners who forego maintenance when the conditions aren't to their liking. That's just letting algae or rust to settle some more, which would then make cleaning a harder task when they get around to it.

-Douglass