Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Canon 10x30is binoculars - BEWARE!

Yes, that title is for search engines.

This has gone beyond ridiculous.  Several exchanges back and forth with the "supervisor" (his title seems to change with each e-mail).  They will cover the repair as long as it wasn't caused by "misuse"... I get an e-mail with a zero balance and an estimate of the time for repair.  When that time passes with no word, I check their web site with my repair number:  "repair being processed."  Still no word on delivery.  Call to find out why it is taking so long, then get the outrageous invoice for over $846.  Call to find out what is going on - no one seems to know.  Then, they claim "water intrusion," which I ABSOLUTELY deny.  OK, then... they must have been dropped.  Also not true.

Now: if I let this whole thing drop, they will cover the new outrageous charge.  This quit being about money when I found out what a joke their repair service actually is... OK, not a joke, but lies, indifference, and deceitful business practices.

At this point, there is no telling if the binoculars will ever find their way back to us.  Or, what $$ they will try to extract with another "made up" charge.  Or, what state of repair they will be in.

Seriously - if they had said, "The repair of the binoculars would be more than the price of new" right off the bat, I would have probably just gone out and bought another.  I understand that things wear out.  But, this has gone on and on due to their lack of response.

Just be aware if you have any item to send for Canon repair: the estimate for cost and time for repair apparently has no relation to what the final cost will be and the time it will [i]really[/i] take.  You will be ignored or lied to.  If you are able to find a phone number to contact them, you will be put on hold and ultimately be given no useful information.  If you ask direct questions, you will be told, "I do not have that information."  Then, expect a punitive, higher bill to be forthcoming.

I have to shake my head with this one.  I currently use Canon cameras and have gotten good use out of them.  When they wear out, I toss 'em and buy another.  These binoculars were great... at first.  After two years, they began to disintegrate - all the rubber on the exterior became sticky to the touch.  For a piece of equipment designed to be used outdoors, this seems like a major shortcoming.

Save your money, avoid the frustration.  Pass on the Canon 10x30is binoculars.

---------------------------------

Some of you know I was a photographer/studio owner for over 30 years.  We used Hasselblad equipment prior to the switch to digital; in my opinion, it was the best that was available at the time.  Even so, with the use they received, regular service was part of the cost of doing business.  Authorized Hasselblad Service had a minimum service charge... stated that up front.  Some folks called that a "this is how much it is going to cost for us to look at it" charge.  Not true - that money was all applied to the service cost.  You just knew up front that was going to be the minimum.

There has been some discussion that this was Canon's first charge of $159 plus shipping.  NO WHERE on the invoice did it say that.  It said, "This is the charge, it will take 5 to 7 days for the repair."  Only when I questioned them on how long the repair was taking (hey, I was patient... waiting 19 days for a repair that was supposed to take "5 to 7 days"... we are heading out soon.  I wanted to know if I should expect it before we leave or if I have to make other arrangements for shipping) did this new charge come up.  I was not demanding, nor out of line - just looking for information, since they were not holding up their end of the service arrangement.

Then, the "Well, they didn't know there was more wrong with it when they estimated the $159.  So, they re-estimated it."  (Yes, that is a quote.)  Had I paid the first charge, I would have been out that money - forfeit it or pay the additional TWICE THE COST OF NEW charge.

The customer contact guy says he is "trying to work with me"... either he is underestimating my resolve or he doesn't know what the repair people are trying to pull.

No doubt, Canon thinks I am being ingracious regarding this situation... they have charged me, removed the charges, done nothing with the binoculars, charged me even more AFTER I called, then removed the charges again.  With the caveat "As of right now, there is no charge..."

As of right now, I am seriously pissed with the lack of response, indifference, arrogance, and deceitful attitude of those at Canon.  They seem to think I am the problem, when this would have been a complete non-issue had they returned e-mails and been honest in their dealings.  I received ZERO response from them (other than the canned "someone will contact you within 48 hours", but of course, no one ever got back to me) - and all I wanted was the damn address for where to send these Canon 10x30is binoculars (yep, for the search engines again) for repair.  I never asked for something for nothing.  Never asked for preferential treatment.  I just wanted to get them fixed... or tell me that they aren't fixable.  SOMETHING - some kind of reply.

When they realized they had dropped the ball, a customer service guy (Raymond) tried to make it up to me with a free repair... which their repair people tried to turn into an $846 repair.  And, now, they will drop that $846 charge to repair those Canon 10x30is binoculars... until they decide to charge me again.  I understand the veiled threat: "As of right now..."

I would be delighted to present Canon's point of view here... something beyond "I'm working for you."  Believe me, I keep EVERY e-mail exchange, and every invoice (I now have 4 different invoices for this single situation).  Dates, names of who I talked to or exchanged an e-mail with.  They obviously prefer to make contact via e-mail (IF they respond), since NO ONE AT CANON has called me regarding this situation.  Shows how little concern they really have.

If you want to see the original forum post that started this ridiculous exchange, here it is...

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Discussion/How-do-you-get-Canon-Customer-Service-to-respond-to-a-request/m-p/12805#M314

I don't think I was being unreasonable, even posted when it seemed they were trying to help.  Had they simply responded to 6 e-mails over the period of months (it wasn't like I was sending them one after another - I was patient, waiting for a reply... which didn't come until AFTER I made that first post above).

BEWARE if you try to get service done on the Canon 10x30is binoculars.

;-)

9 comments:

Doryman said...

I've got the same binoculars but hope not to repeat your experience! My take on the matter, unfortunately, is that most companies in the consumer marketplace consider their products disposable.

My pet peeve: Try buying a new couch or other furniture with good "bones" that can be reupholstered. Can't do it (at least I can't).

Bernie said...

I, too, have been using Canon cameras for many years with no problem. Guess I've been lucky that I haven't had to deal with the repair people. Carry one of the pocket=type Canon Binoculars in my fishing/huinting vests. My day-to-day ops depend on good, functional, quality equipment. You have been diddled by the Canon repair dorks. Bernie Outdoor Writer

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Warren and Bernie. Yes, Canon Service is using that term very loosely. The Canon cameras we have (and currently) own have been decent. The binoculars started disintegrating during year two. I would have understood them being considered "disposable", I don't understand Canon Service NOT doing what they say they will do, and not returning phone calls, e-mails, etc... and especially the deceitful repair pricing. At this point, even though I was told the binoculars were "service in process" for the past two weeks, nothing has been done with them. I don't like dealing with companies that flat out lie to me.

Unknown said...

Hi Jim, I'm Racebum (NuWa Owners Forum) and I was searching for reviews on your binoculars and found this on the Canon's website, go down to the third review (Melting exterior!): http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/binoculars/image_stabilizer/10_x_30_is

Seems someone else was having the same problem. Good luck. One of these days I will post my troubles with getting the HitchHiker painted. BTW, love your blog.....

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Racebum! Thanks for that link. When all is said and done, I will certainly be posting a review. I really thought I was the only one with "disintegrating exterior" syndrome. ;-)

Thanks also for the kind words. See you on the NuWa forum!

Anonymous said...

This won't help you now, but I considered Canon and Fuji stabilized binoculars about eight years ago, and decided to go with the Fuji 10X40's for a number of reasons. The Fuji's are still in great shape, and are amazing with stabilization turned on. Only downside is that if the batteries die (which they do rather quickly) the binocs are almost useless on a boat because of the 10 power magnification.

Unknown said...

I see that you finally received your Canon 10X30IS binoculars back from Canon repair on 2/7/13 (http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Discussion/How-do-you-get-Canon-Customer-Service-to-respond-to-a-request/td-p/10821/page/2). How much did you end up paying for the repair of this manufacturing or materials-selection defect (that has also been reported by others)? How well has the new coating stood up in the last year?

It too own these binoculars and their body coating also has become very sticky, and sometimes my hands get black spots when I use the binoculars. I don’t recall when they started getting sticky, but it was approximately a couple years after I purchased them. I’ve wondered how hard it would be to just remove the all the black coating as it is already gone in some areas. I don’t fancy paying $150 to have Canon fix a product defect, if that’s what you ended up paying, or go through the hassle you described.

I can report that unlike some other customers on Canon’s forum, the image stabilization on mine continues to work flawlessly.

I encourage comments from others who have had the body coating problem and how they have dealt with it.

Muhammad said...

This is such an informative post. You have a lot of really great points. I wish I had this post as a resource when I started blogging.
night vision binoculars.

Unknown said...

Nice share. Please share this too.

1. Astronomical Binoculars : http://www.medicopes.com/categories/Astronomical-Binoculars/

2. Compact Binoculars : http://www.medicopes.com/categories/Compact-Binoculars/

3. Field & Birding Binoculars : http://www.medicopes.com/categories/Field-%26-Birding-Binoculars/

4. Image Stabilized Binoculars : http://www.medicopes.com/categories/-Image-Stabilized-Binoculars/

5. Marine Binoculars : http://www.medicopes.com/categories/Marine-Binoculars/

6. Night Vision Binoculars & Goggles : http://www.medicopes.com/categories/-Night-Vision-Binoculars-%26-Goggles/

7. Reverse Newtonian Binocular Telescopes : http://www.medicopes.com/categories/Reverse-Newtonian-Binocular-Telescopes/