Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Just looking around...

I can't help it - I'm at that "curious age"... for those who aren't familiar, old enough to be retired, but young at heart enough to still look around.  Don't get me wrong, I am in a committed relationship... several of them, actually.

But, you know, sometimes you just want to see if what you've heard is true.

What's that?  Checking out what??  Hey, I'm taking guitars here, take that someplace else.

A norther blew in, and my lovely wife had a slight case of cabin fever (my case was more advanced).  She suggested lunch out, a stop for some fabric she wanted, and I could stop at Guitar Center to pick up some strings.  The high E-string on my 814 has started sounding a bit "warbbly"  (yes, I think I made up that word... maybe "twangy" would be more accurate?).

After lunch and fabric shopping (yes, I live an exciting life  ;)), we stopped at our nearest GC.  I picked up a few sets of different strings to try out, while the Blonde looked around.  She said, "I assume you want to look in the acoustic room before we go?"

Yes, a silly question.  Nothing I need, but, like walking on the beach on a nice day, it's always a pleasure to look.  What's that??  Yes, I'm talking about the shells and the pretty water - what were you thinking??

Where was I?  Oh yeah, looking at guitars.  I'm really not a "comparing" kinda guy - I know what I like.  I am crazy about what I have.  The young man who sold me the strings asked what kind of guitar I have... I led with my favorite and said, "A Taylor 814."

"Ohhhh - really nice!  That is my favorite guitar in this place.  I play that one every chance I get."

Now, I'm sure that he is just doing that for the eventual owner, helping to move along the "opening up" process.   ;)  OK, I am digressing again.  There was nothing in that place that turned my head.  I happen to think the bursts on my 814 and T5 are as pretty as it gets.  Then, I saw a Rainsong (a carbon fiber guitar - no wood on it anywhere) hanging up high.  Just making conversation, I asked that same young man, "Have you ever played one of those?"

"No, I haven't.  I like wood."  I nodded in agreement.  He said, "Want me to get it down for you?"

"Nah, I was just wondering what they play like."

"Let's find out," he said and scrambled up the ladder in a flash.  He handed me the guitar.  Interesting carbon fiber texture under that glossy finish.  I pulled out a pick and sat down to give it a try... it sounded good.  The guitar felt nice... I guess I was expecting it to be cold and lifeless.  If that's what I was expecting, I was wrong.  Don't get me wrong - it didn't move me like my 814 does.  But, it was a nice instrument.

No, I'm not considering any changes.  For full disclosure, though, I have been around long enough to know better than to say, "If I can get that _______ (fill in the blank), I'll never ask for anything ever again."  ;D

The idea of "humidity be damned" is interesting.  We used to race sailboats - I understand the allure of carbon fiber.  I also appreciate the warmth of wood.

When I handed that guitar back to the young man, I said, "Now, you play it - see what you think."  He played... well.  The guitar sounded good from this side, too.  As he was putting the guitar back, he said, "It's no 814, though."

Smart kid.






8)

No comments: