Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Birthday, America!

You're looking good, for 237 years old!

While most folks will be grilling out, hanging at the beach, enjoying the pool, or hiking in the cool mountains, some of us will be working... so others can have fun.  (That comment is for our sweet daughter.)

I'll be driving a boat out of Roche Harbor today.  We won't be arriving and departing from our normal dock... the marina has a "party dock" set up in that space, and we will have to tie up to that.  I haven't seen it, yet, but I am told that it is... an inconvenience.  I'm putting it lightly.  Less space to maneuver, positioning 90ยบ to our normal, in a smaller space, with WAY more boats all around it.  Wine tasting and other activities happening at that dock.  Should be interesting.

Meanwhile, in Friday Harbor, there is a big "Rock the Dock" celebration going on.  If I move my truck from the permit parking, the odds are pretty good I won't get it back into that lot for several days.  I'm going to catch a ride to Roche with another employee... after I walk about 3/4 mile uphill, carrying my backpack... this is starting to sound like "I had to walk 12 miles to school, in the snow, uphill both ways, and I didn't have shoes, and I had to carry my brother, and I don't even have a brother, so I had to carry someone else's brother!!"  ;-)

We have to leave WAY early because there is a parade here in Friday Harbor.  And, the county folks decided this week would be a good time to chip-seal the road between Friday Harbor and Roche!

But, other than that, it should be easy.

Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor both have fireworks tonight.  I may try to stay up until dark to watch it from our cockpit... assuming I can get a ride back to Friday Harbor this evening. ;-)


No comments: