Monday, July 22, 2013

Oh, Canada...

Yesterday's late cruise was a treat.  The boat was scheduled for a private charter for a wedding party.  I was told we'd have between 14 and 24 guests... the exact number doesn't really matter (except for the manifest), since they have the whole boat.

I wrote yesterday about the fog (and, it's foggy again this morning, but we don't have to work today)... I was busy getting things ready around the boat, so I had Izzy check weather for me...


She's very helpful that way.  (If you're looking close, that is my favorite sailing forum on the screen - Izzy had to switch to pull up the weather... such a smart girl.)

I made the drive over to Roche Harbor and prepped the boat.  About a half hour before departure, a gentleman came to the boat and asked if this was the boat for the wedding party... "Yes, sir.  You're the first to arrive."  He said he'd be back with the group.

I do have a bit of experience with wedding parties.  This afternoon was a first: they were at the boat early!  I think I am going to like these folks.  They brought on some food and beverages... it was mostly people around my age, with one young lady in her late 20s.  The person in charge was the groom's Mother, and this cruise was for her and her friends/family.

I asked what they'd like to do, since they have the boat... "Can we see some whales?"

"That's what we do here," I told them.  I let them know the whales were to the north, in Canadian water, and were moving away from us.  "Let's get going to see if we can catch up with them."  I did a safety briefing, and we shoved off.

The fog had mostly lifted by late afternoon, but it was cool on the water.  I took the boat around Turn Point - the whales were reported to be in the area of Bedwell Harbour, moving east.  With North and South Pender Islands in sight, I could see several boats on scene - and they were moving west.  The whales had changed direction, a good thing for us...


The guests gathered at the bow, while our naturalist explained what we'd be doing...


The boats were moving fast, meaning the whales were also moving fast.  I picked a spot in the line and headed towards that.  Just as we maneuvered into our spot, the whales stopped their fast pace... we were in perfect position for some viewing.  The whales were close to shore...


and, we are required to stay 1/8 mile off the shore in this area.  That's just barely beyond 200 yards, so it was close to our normal viewing distance.  People on the shore were getting a close-up show...


The guests were enjoying the viewing...


Not many boats there this time of day; one other US boat and a few out of Victoria.  Being able to sit there with the engine off makes for a relaxed viewing.  We were on the whales for almost an hour, when I asked the guests if they'd like to see some other wildlife or stay and enjoy the whales a while longer.  I suggested we could look for some bald eagles; the reply: "We're from Minnesota - we see eagles all the time.  Can we stay and watch the whales a while longer?"

"Absolutely - the boat is yours."

When it was time to head back, almost if on cue, the whales started moving again.  This was a group of transients, so I assume they had made a kill underwater that kept them in one spot for a while.  Our timing was perfect.

I had reports of solid fog to the south, but our visibility was decent.  I enjoy the views as the sun gets lower.  A tug and tow in the distance where Haro Strait and Boundary Pass come together...


And, some more silhouettes...


We stopped to see some seals on the rocks, including some new pups... I assumed they didn't see those everyday in Minnesota.

Back to our dock, and the traditional "Groom's Mother hugging the Captain" as they stepped off the boat... very nice people, a beautiful time on the water.

---------------------

On the way to work, I was walking by two young ladies who were wearing resort uniforms.  I said, "Good afternoon, ladies."

One of them noticed the logos on my clothes and asked, "You work here?" in English, but with a strong eastern European accent.

"Yes, I am a boat captain."

The other one giggled and said, "Oh, good job - you married?"

"Oh, yes - very.  You ladies have a good day."  I laughed to myself - I'm thinking they were enjoying life in the US and perhaps doing a bit of husband shopping.


2 comments:

Lost Petrel said...

LMAO "Oh, good job - you married?" Made your day!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I have socks older than those girls. More like: made me laugh. ;-)