Monday, July 15, 2013

Somebody's gotta do it...

A day off for us today, I went in to work and did a couple hours of maintenance on one of the boats.  The fuel deck plates needed to be replaced, and it really requires two people: one working from below deck, the other fitting into place above deck.  The boss is tall and slender, 23 years younger than me, and way more physically limber than I am... "I could do the below deck part, but you'll have to get the Jaws of Life to tear the boat apart to get me out." ;-)

Yeah, I did the work above deck.

I haven't seen many days off recently, but he hasn't had any for the past month or so.  Joan encouraged me to offer to take one of his trips today... "Really?  You don't need the whole day off?"

"I'm already here working, so there goes that premise.  I'll do the late trip, if you want, and you can get other stuff done, 'cause I know you won't actually take the time off."

I told him I'd clean up the boat and put away the tools so he could head over to the other location.  As he walked away, I said, "But, I'm taking the whole day off tomorrow, and if you call me, I'll never speak to you again!"

He smiled and waved.  It has taken him a while to learn to appreciate my sense of humor.  Well, I'm not really sure he appreciates it, but I think he gets me now.  And knows I'm willing to do whatever needs to be done.

Since Joan has the day off, she is going to go with me on the boat - that will be a nice treat for me.  She likes to do boat stuff on her days off, and I get to take her out; I get paid, and I'm running someone else's fuel through the boat.  ;-)  Win/Win.

------------------------------

I am a fashion plate.  OK, I'm not really sure what that means, but I think it has something to do with my impeccable sense of style.  When I got home from working on the boat this morning, Joan said, "You look like you have French tips."

"Thanks for noticing.  What's a French tip?"

"When you do your nails and paint the ends of the nail white, that's a French tip," she explained.

I looked at my hands...  I have 5200 under every fingernail.  It looks better than grease.  I am styling!

;-)


No comments: