Monday, July 8, 2013

Taxi!

No, they don't hail us like in New York City; besides whale watching trips, we also do water taxi.  That was my driving job today: 18 people needed to get to another island.  I was told we would then wait for them for three hours (yes, the "meter" is running), then take them back to Friday Harbor.

I had done this shuttle for this group last year, and I recall the dock situation is fine... for a small boat.  It can be a bit of a challenge for a bigger boat.  When I checked tides and currents, I saw that our arrival would be very close to slack, low tide.  Not as good as slack, high tide, but better than when the currents are running (all the rest of the time).

The Washington State Ferry was running 20 minutes late, but I was able to put the coals to it and get them in right on time.  The lady who met the group at the dock told us we would not be able to stay at the dock, because they had their boat that would be arriving.

Can't argue with that... it's their dock.

There is a small mooring area across the pass from them... but only dinghies there.  My new plan: go over there and catch a mooring ball.  The reality: it was shallow, and even with a short line, the wind would be blowing us towards shore; nope, I am careful with the boss's boat.  The newer, new plan: head for a nearby anchorage.

I expected Reid Harbor to be packed with boats; it wasn't.  Most of the mooring balls were empty; there was even a space at the dock... of course, this boat wouldn't fit in that space.  I swung the boat around and showed the first mate how to grab a mooring ball.

With the boat secured, we sat back to pass the next three hours.  She cleaned around the boat, I did some paperwork.  Time for lunch.  I turned on our fleet radio to listen for whale reports... good reports and also a discussion about the fog on Haro Strait.  Shortly after that, the temperature dropped... I think we might see some of that fog.

Here it comes, over the hill...


Looking towards the entrance of the harbor...




I heard a report of 150 foot visibility on the other side of the Strait.  Nothing we can do about it, we have radar... we finished lunch.

The fog never made to us.  It had taken us 20 minutes to get to this anchorage, so our wait time was decreased by that, twice.  When we were 20 minutes from our scheduled time to pick them up, we let loose of the mooring and headed back.  In the clear.

The tide was up, and the current was ripping.  I knew to expect swirling current right off the dock... this arrival took more work than our first - I had to back down on a bow line.  And, right on schedule, our passengers arrived at the boat, said good-bye to their guests on the island, and we shoved off.  The first mate did a great job of line handling, and the passengers never knew there were ugly currents there.

We had them back to Friday Harbor right on time to step off our boat and get on the ferry that had just arrived.  (Oh, sure, that one is on time. ;-) )  They thanked us for making up the time and getting them back in time.  It all worked.

Truth be told, I could hear the activity on the fleet radio from those who were whale watching... sounds like the viewing was good.  Reports of a "super pod" moving in.  That is very good news.  We haven't seen K-Pod yet this season.  I would like to be in on that.

And, we are coming up on our "weekend" (two days off).

My first mate on this trip is a very nice young lady... she said, "I feel like I'm not doing my job if we aren't talking about what they're seeing out there."

"That's not what we do on this kind of trip," I told her.  "They are going there for some art education, and will be talking amongst themselves.  But, if anyone has any questions about what they're seeing along the way, by all means, feel free to narrate.  Today, it's just first mate work and safety."

I couldn't do this solo from this boat (flybridge helm); and she does a great job with fenders and lines.  Another easy day.  Well, it would have been easier if we could have waited at the dock, but I kinda enjoyed some time in Reid Harbor.


No comments: