Friday, July 5, 2013

Trifecta!!

I don't have any photos, so no doubt, some will say, "No photos?  It didn't happen."

I was kinda busy.  "How busy?" you ask.  Thanks for asking.  I usually eat my lunch while driving the boat... I forgot to eat my lunch today.  Oh, it was right there, 'cause I took the soda out of it.

"Busy doing what?"  You're just full of questions today, aren't you?

It was a WHALES kinda day today.  We had a full boat (busy holiday weekend), and our guests wanted to see Orcas.  OK, they always want to see Orcas.  As do we.  I had a good report today; when we got on the scene, there were other boats there... not packed, but enough that you have to have a plan.  Watching the whales' direction, I positioned our boat, turned off the motor... and we had the best seat in the house.  Really, the whales decided to get active where we had a great view.  Some of L-Pod again, including multiple breaches by Spirit.

We repositioned a couple times over the next hour, each time getting a great view.  The guests were very excited (and justifiably so).  Then, I got another report: a humpback maybe, a mile or so south of our position.  It was worth a look.

We were one of only 4 boats looking in this spot.  Less than 2 minutes later, we saw it - a few nice surfaces, then a deep dive, complete with a great view of the tail fluke.  This is too cool!  We waited a few minutes, then saw him (maybe her) again, same routine: three surfaces and a wave bye-bye for a deep dive.

At this point, we were close to time to head in... we should probably see if we can find a Minke whale to "complete the whole set."  And, without even going out of the way, we saw an elusive Minke!

Trifecta!  Orcas, and humpback, and Minke - oh my!

This is a first for me, to get all three on the same trip.  My naturalist said, "I am going to be excited about this for days and days!"  Yeah, I get that.  I don't ever forget to eat lunch.

And Mother Nature was cooperative... we had some chop going through Cattle Pass, but the rest of the trip was pretty smooth.  The sun was shining, the temp made it above 70º.  And, did I tell you about our trifecta?  ;-)

3 comments:

Bob Keim said...

Too Cool!

C.Michael Taylor said...

Missing Lunch !

You are taking this job way to serious.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I got caught up, Mike... what can I say? It wasn't until I was fueling up the boat at the end of the day that I realized. Oh, that, and the lunch bag Joan packed for me was just as full carrying it home. ;-)