Saturday, July 20, 2013

Well, that was different...

The first report I received on the whales' location put them in the NE part of Boundary Pass.  An hour later, they were passing the west side of Stuart Island - they are moving!  Just before shoving off, I received a report of Kellett Bluff (on the NW side of San Juan Island), moving south at 8 to 10 knots.

I have compared whale watching to playing chess: make the right moves and you win.  I had to decide whether to run north or south out of Friday Harbor.  South would be lumpy and longer, but the whales would be moving towards me.  North would be a better ride, shorter distance, but if the whales shifted into high gear, I would really have to work to catch up to them.

I decided to go north.  Yep, they shifted into high gear once I was committed to my route.  As predicted, I got to them quicker than boats that went south, even with their speed... but, they were spread out and moving fast.  It was hard to get a good view of them, because they surfaced only for a quick breath, then kept moving.

The guests all enjoyed the trip (they tell you when they get off the boat), but it was a different type of viewing experience.  I like it best when we can get into a good position and shut off the boat, so you can hear them as well as see them.  Hearing the whales exhaust their breath, then take in another still gives me goose-bumps.  That wasn't going to happen today.

Never the same thing twice.

No comments: