Friday, November 1, 2013

Reviews...

I generally don't put a lot of stock in movie reviews.  Maybe it's the fact that the movies that get the most critical acclaim aren't what I consider the most entertaining?  Joan doesn't like period pieces, I like something that makes me laugh.

And so, that leads me to "Last Vegas."  It's a movie about 4 guys of a certain age who go to Las Vegas for a bachelor party.  The guys are heavy hitters in the movie industry: Robert DeNero, Michael Douglas, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Kline.  Joan and I were looking forward to this movie.


This morning, those 4 guys were on the Today Show... they seemed indifferent; it was a boring interview.  Then, a review in the local arts and entertainment paper: "Lackluster, 'Hangover' for the AARP set, predictable, they didn't phone it in - they e-mailed it in..."  It was a really bad review.  I wondered if we were throwing away money by going to that movie today.

We took the scooters over to the island and had lunch.  With plenty of time before the movie start time, we rode up to the wildlife area by the Convention Center again, to take a walk...


Then, on to the movie.  There were probably 20 people in the theater for this movie - the biggest crowd we've seen at the movies since we got home.  We were definitely the youngest ones in there - this is the target audience for this movie, I guess.  When the previews were just ending, another old couple came in... "It's dark - I can't see!"  He pulled a flashlight out of his pocket and started shining it up and down the rows.  They sat right behind us.  Swell.  I passed gas, then faked a coughing fit... they moved!  And shined the flashlight around again.  At least it wasn't behind us.

And the really good news: the movie was funny!  Not gross funny like "The Hangover," but funny... especially if you are old enough to get all the jokes.  No doubt that review I read this morning was written by a 20-something.  There was comradery.  Plenty of funny stuff.  Mary Steenburgen looked good.  The bikini contest was my favorite part...


The movie should be rated PG-40.  Don't take anyone under 40, you'll have to explain all the humor, and that kinda loses the impact.  ;-)


2 comments:

C.Michael Taylor said...

Knowing your sense of humor and enjoying it for these past few years, I feel like I can trust your review over the National Media any day. I will take it in next week and I will be sure to bring my AARP card for my discount.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hey, Mike. With your new-found immersion in photography, you will enjoy the cinematography... but, don't let that get in the way of the fun. It is mostly us seasoned citizens that go to the matinee movies here - can't believe they don't give us a senior discount on top of that! ;-)