Sunday, December 8, 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like...


In years past, we have taken lights off the boat and put some of them up on the house.  This is usually done while wearing a t-shirt and shorts.  I've been putting off hanging any lights, waiting for a break in the weather.  OK, we had a lovely break in the weather this week, but most of it was taken up with putting the 5th wheel away.

Today, the temp climbed up to 46º (so far) and the wind dropped down to a couple hundred miles per hour... so, I dug out the lights.  I have to admit, I am like a kid - I enjoy the lights, the sounds, and the smells of Christmas.  No, I still think having to watch the Lifetime Channel with "All Schlocky Christmas Movies All The Time From November To New Years" is painful.  With the cold weather, I brought the lights inside to test them... any Clark Griswold wannabe knows you have to make sure the lights are all lit before you hang them.

Nope, that strand is only about half lit.  Hmmm, about one third on this one.  Seriously, don't any of these strands work?  Is there a reason I put away lights that don't light?  Maybe they went out the last night we had them lit and I didn't know?  Maybe the Grinch got into the lights and undid a couple of them right in the middle?

This box says, "The strand will stay lit if one light goes out."  What it should say: "About half of the strand will stay lit if one light goes out."  I threw away a big bag of non-lighting lights.

The star that was the centerpiece last time we used it on the boat wouldn't light... on the bright side: we had picked up another star at half price after Christmas last year.  The blowing salt spray during the parade is hard on the lights.  No doubt, somewhere in the badly written safety instructions for the lights (you know, the instructions that say: "Don't use these in the shower") it says, "Do not immerse these in salt water, you stupid American."

It took me three times as long to test the lights as it did to hang the lights.  That is probably because I quit when I finally found two strands of lights that were mostly lit, hung one on either side of the star, and called it: decorated.

Now, if I could just find an outdoor extension cord.

----------------------

Joan put some inside decorations.  Little Iz was curious.  This is what happens when you get nosy...


"Seriously, this is NOT funny!"


"Fine, get your picture... oh, and I won't forget this."


"You might want to check in your shoe before you put it on next time... just sayin'!"


No comments: