Friday, March 28, 2014

Eyeballs and gonads...


The blowing dirt has subsided, and it is a perfectly lovely day in the Valley of the Sun... upper 70s, clear blue sky, very slight breeze.  No where we had to be today, but I just knew we were going to have to get there by scooter.

Friday is "Burger Day" for the kids - they like to reward themselves for another week of molding young minds with a good, juicy burger.  We will be meeting them at 5 Guys when they get off work.  For those of us without a schedule, it is important that you plan lunch so it doesn't conflict with what you will be having for supper.  For the past week, I have been craving The Schnitz (known to the rest of the world: der Weinerschnitzel.

Some of you know that we prefer to do our big meal in the middle of the day.  When we meet our daughter and son-in-law (known to us as: the kids) for supper, this messes with our standard MO (known to those in law enforcement and people who watch detective shows as: modus operandi... and to the rest of us as: the way we do things).  I am willing to make that sacrifice for 5 Guys.  Oh, and to see the kids... that, too.

Back to The Schnitz... I bargained with Joan: "I will eat really light - just one chili-cheese dog."  She gave in.  We rode the scoots to The Schnitz that is along our loosely planned route.  She sat at a table, I ordered.  Going light, we picked a combo meal to split (just like little old people - I'll say it so you don't have to).  The young man at the counter asked, "Do you want to upgrade that to all-beef dogs?"

I said, "No, give me the original stuff, made with eyeballs and gonads."

I think I offended him (nice when you take pride in your work), something you shouldn't do with anyone who handles your food.  As far as I can tell, he didn't put Draino in my chili-cheese dog... perhaps an extra eyeball?  It didn't wink at me as I ate it, so probably not.

Two guys at the Schnitz asked about the scooters (they reminded me of Statler and Waldorf, the old guys in the theater balcony from the Muppets)... "We really like your scooters!  They look like a lot of fun.  ...)

We swung by Cabela's... I need a sunglasses leash (Croakie or Chum's)... well, need may be too strong, since the one I'm using hasn't broken, yet.  I can tell it is near the end of its useful life, though.  With all the camouflage stuff they sell, you'd think they'd have some way of keeping your camouflage-rimmed glasses in check.  OK, they had some, but none that fit my glasses.  Doesn't matter, really, I just like to walk through Cabela's.  Sunglass Hut just down the street hooked me up.

We drove down Northern Ave, eastbound, heading for a West Marine.  And because we haven't run across town on Northern Avenue before.  Interesting drive: it goes from gravel pit stuff before the 101, retail stuff near the big stadium, upscale housing... and then farms.  Yep, farms in the middle of Phoenix, complete with sheep, alpaca (with or without the 's' for plural, I looked it up), and a field of lettuce, or some other green stuff.  Then, into industrial-looking buildings, and back to older homes.  Quite the variety in less than 6 miles.  Good road.  45 mph speed limit.  Not much traffic.  Just right for "urban cruising on scoots."

West Marine didn't have what we were looking for.  What would you expect from a West Marine in the middle of the desert?  We weren't looking real hard, anyway... it would be damn hard to carry a stand up paddleboard (SUP) on a scooter.  ;-)

Mostly just a reason and a direction to head out on the scoots.  We'll get 'em strapped down in the trailer this weekend for the long ride east, then south.  Just a lovely day to be out and about.

We gassed up along the way.  Most of these miles were from our highway trek around the White Tank Mountains... Joan got 104 mpg, I logged exactly 100 mpg.  In the miles per gallon contest, she is the Harlem Globetrotters and I am the Washington Generals (look it up if you aren't up on your Globetrotters info).

At the gas station, a woman came up to us while we were filling the scoots.  "How much are those?"

Most people at least preface that question with, "May I ask you about your scooters?" and then go on to ask a) How fast?  b) What does it get for mileage?  And then, c) How much?

I told her what they cost.  She responded with, "They're cute!"

I need to get one of my black leather vests out... it's hard to look bad-ass on a friendly Honda scooter.

Gotta close - we're waiting for our call to head to 5 Guys!  :-)


No comments: