Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Watch this...


No, this isn't going to be one of those, "Here - hold my beer and watch this!" posts.  This is about the hunt for a watch.  No, I didn't lose a watch, but the casual watch I wore for work bit the dust.  That's not a big deal - I have other watches.  In fact, I have a nice collection of watches.  In our working days, I lived by an appointment book... and I have a SERIOUS peeve (way beyond a pet peeve) about being on time for appointments.  I don't keep people waiting, and I don't like to be kept waiting.  (And doctors' offices are the worst - no wonder my blood pressure is high, after they have kept me waiting for an hour in "solitary confinement: that little room they put you in after you wait out in the big room for whatever time they deem appropriate).

But, I digress.

There is a Seiko Factory Store in one of the outlet malls in Las Vegas; they always have good deals.  Usually, at least 30% off retail, and sometimes you can find something in their "Almost Perfect" selection that is an even better price.

After a huge omelet breakfast (another place that Steph and Dan like), we went to the outlet mall.  The Seiko Store was the only stop on my agenda.  They had a very nice variety of watches to choose from, and good prices.  We asked about their "Trade In Sale": trade any watch, working or not, and get 60% off the retail price.  A "once a year" sale, according to Steve, our new friend who works there.  Of course, that once a year may last from January 1st to December 31st, but it seemed like a good deal to us.  Oh, and trade in any watch (no, it doesn't have to be a Seiko) and that 60% is off your entire order.

Prior to finding out about that, I had narrowed my selection down to two watches.  Joan said, "Get 'em both."  There was a kiosk in this mall selling cheap crap - buy a $10 watch and get way more than that off these - seemed like a really good deal.  Steph and Dan soon joined us... when Steph heard she could get 60% off, too, she started looking... as did Joan.  Apparently, Dan was good on watches, but he watched the watch shopping.

Steph picked out one she liked then stepped out, returning with one of those $10 specials.  I told Steve, "This watch has great sentimental value to us - it has been in the family for almost 4 minutes."

"Good deal, huh?" he said with a smile.

Yep.  Joan picked out a gorgeous watch, too.  Two for me, one for you, and one for you.  "Ring 'em up, Steve."

When we first retired, I stopped wearing a watch... almost as a matter of pride.  I put one back on when we started up with these "fun summer jobs," then put 'em away again.  The past year or so, I have been wearing a watch most of the time.  Not because I have to, but because I want to.  The only problem with that: a bunch of watches were due for a new battery, all at the same time.  Joan took a half dozen watches in to the watch battery place when we first got here... so, it really wasn't like I was hurting for another watch.

But, I like 'em again.  One of my new ones is waterproof to 100 meters - it will be great on the boat... or the kayak... or just walking the beach.  Well, when we get back to a place where one can boat, kayak, and beach walk... and you want to know what time it is.



No comments: