Friday, October 31, 2014

Sunrise paddle...


It was 73º, still dark out when I got up this morning.  No breeze.  A good morning for a paddle.

I haven't had the paddleboard in the water since they started work on the dock.  Time to change that status.  I was anxious to see how the new "2 level" water access would work.

Joan was up, but I had no idea she was taking photos.  Time to get the paddleboard wet...






Heading down the canal...


You can see the first bit of pink light on the houses across the canal.  I wasn't planning on a "sunrise" paddle, but the view as I got down the canal made me wish I had brought a camera along.  No, I didn't.  The sun was just coming up on the southeast horizon; the water was perfectly flat.  Not like I'm a speed demon on the board, but I took my time before making the turn to the northeast.

A guy in a fishing boat was coming in - he slowed to where he was barely moving as we passed.  He said, "You doing OK?"

"Yep, thanks for slowing down.  Great morning, isn't it?"

"If you like fishing, the reds are really biting out in the jetties.  Can you fish from that thing?"

"Not me, but I've seen people put a cooler on one of these so they can sit on it and fish."

I paddled two canals over and into the "lake" area.  The sun was now above the horizon, but mostly behind the one small cloud - it made for some very pretty light.  Yeah, really wishing I had a camera with me.  I am not steady on the board, but the GoPro has a waterproof housing.  Maybe next time.

Coming back to the house, I could see Joan on the deck with the camera - proof that it happened...


"How was it?" Joan asked.

"Gorgeous!  Nice way to start the day."

I came back to the dock.  Yes, this is a bit different from what we had...


The tide was up, so I had to lean over to sit on the dock.  Joan took my paddle while I pulled the board up on the dock.  Yep, I am liking this dock arrangement.  We ran a hose down to the dock so I could rinse the salt water off my board and paddle.  When the builder gets the fish cleaning station done, the hose will have a place to live on the dock; convenient for rinsing.

When I came up to the dock, Joan had cut fruit ready on the patio table... this morning just keeps getting better.

----------------------

On edit:

Timing...

When we were ready to come in from our morning on the deck, there was a light sprinkle just starting.  A few minutes later, the rumble of thunder, and the downpour started as a front moved in from the north.  Not a winter norther, since it only dropped the temp a few degrees, but the rain came down in earnest... as in: between 2 and 3 inches of rain reported by the National Weather Service in about 45 minutes!

Some local flood warnings.  You just know there are going to be flooded streets out there.

The rain came mostly from the northeast - the direction our bedroom windows face.  Yes, the window area that had a leak.  I guess this will be the test to make sure our builder found and eliminated the way the water was leaked in.




2 comments:

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

Still waiting for a picture of the big splash!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Keep waiting, Charlie... I've done a small splash or two (falling mostly on the board)... haven't done the "big splash"... yet.