Sunday, July 19, 2015

A theme...


Yesterday, my birthday was a theme: Apple Watch.  Joan ordered me an Apple Watch early this month - she was told it would be delivered in two to three weeks.  It showed up in two days.  And, she let me have it early...


It is so much more than a watch.  I get texts and can respond (via voice, not typing in anything); same with e-mails.  I am a bit of a weather nerd, and I get instant weather, including hourly forecasts - my favorite thing.  Yes, you can use it as a phone, like Dick Tracy - with a bluetooth setup on the iPhone.  OK, it really isn't a big deal to pull the phone out of your pocket to answer it, but this is even faster.  And, it our particular situation, where the phone needs to be in the signal booster cradle, I can be outside the motorhome (where the phone signal is moderately lousy) and talk via the watch while the phone is inside in the cradle.  It is actually quite handy.

Am I thinking: "How did I ever live without this?"  No.  But, it works slick.  And, for a guy like me who checks weather all the time, it is really slick.  There are plenty of other apps for it, too.

For a while after we retired, I stopped wearing a watch... mostly on principle.  But, I have some very nice watches.  After a couple years, I started wearing my watches again.  After using the Apple Watch for a couple weeks, it would be a bit of a let-down to go back to a watch that only tells time.  ;-)

The "theme" from the title: Joan and Steph coordinated efforts and got me other accessories for the watch, including a stand that holds the charger - makes the watch even easier to use as a bedside clock.

---------------

Today was another theme: whales are busting out all over!

It was another fine day of whale viewing.  They were reasonably close and weren't moving away from us.  I had the boat shut down for a good portion of the trip, allowing for a quiet, relaxing viewing experience.

The weather was warm and sunny.  Maybe the warmest day of the season so far (at least that's what my watch was saying ;-) ).  Delightful out on the water - I didn't need layers.

Bow and stern while underway...



Just a bit of the whale viewing...



One whale breached off our stern.  Then again.  And again.  By the fourth breach, I grabbed my camera... didn't get it turned on and zoomed enough to catch the 5th, and final, breach...


Yeah, I missed the shot, but it was fun watching.

On the way home, running by the Cattle Point Lighthouse...


Other wildlife and pretty scenery along the way.

Hope that "theme" holds out through the rest of the season.  :-)


No comments: