Friday, July 24, 2015

A wet one...


The weather.

We have been very fortunate with the weather this summer... so far.  Especially considering that we are "scoot only" for conveyances.  We haven't had to ride in much precip.

The weather weasels are calling for "a 100% chance of rain" during certain hours today.  That's kind of a firm stand.  ;-)

We woke up to a light rain.  I offered to take Joan to work (she goes in a few hours before I have to be there).  The hourly forecast was calling for "rain starting at 8:15."  Again, pretty specific for the weather weasels.  I dropped Joan off at work about 7:38.  No rain.  Back home, I put the scoot in the "mobile garage" (aka: cargo trailer).  About 30 seconds after I came inside, the rain started again.  A little early, but still pretty darn close.

The odds are pretty good that we'll get wet today on the boats... for those who think: "You have the best job, ever!"  (Which I hear frequently on the boats).  Only one of our boats has a solid enclosed helm... not the one I am driving.  My helm today is enclosed on three sides with canvas and eisenglass... and once the eisenglass (that's the "plastic windows) gets coated with rain, you have to unzip it part way so you have a way to see forward.  Translation: you get wet.  Mostly in the face.

Our Roche boat (I'm on that one tomorrow) has a completely open helm.  Oh, there is an inside helm, but the viz is quite limited and no GPS or radar in that location.

Yeah, I have foul weather gear.  Haven't had to use it much this season.


No comments: