Saturday, April 16, 2016

I go flyin' so high...


If you said, "Taxi, by Harry Chapin," you get 100 bonus points.

Seems like I have been otherwise occupied and haven't gotten the quadcopter out of its case in quite a while.  I put a fresh charge on the batteries and controller last night, hoping to do some flying today.  Mother Nature had other plans, with the wind blowing around 15 mph - the info from Yuneec on the quadcopter says to not fly when the wind is " 8 to 12 mph or higher."

I know what you're thinking: "Why not just say '8 mph or higher'?"  I guess the range is dependent on experience... or risk aversion.  Regardless, I checked the Weather Channel and it said the current wind was 8 mph.  Time to fly!  When I got outside, it was pretty clear the weather reporting station for PI must be in a more protected spot than our island.  What the heck... I'm here, I have everything all charged up... I turned on the controller, then fired up the quad.  "Let's see if I remember how to do this..."  (Not sure who I was talking to)

Yep...



Mike and MJ's new house taking shape.



Randy and Cindy's sailboat...


I didn't plunk the quad into the canal, so I'm calling the flight a success.

Getting low on fresh fruit, we needed to make a run to the grocery store.  I got the scoots out - pretty sure I'll fit right in for the Beach 'n Biker Fest...


... with my biker(ish) black polo shirt and shorts.  ;-)  Nah, I'm OK with not fitting in.

Plenty of cars at the store, but not many bikes; not exactly the Sturgis Rally.  Keep in mind, we are in the "Tropical Tip."  The riding here isn't as interesting as in the Black Hills, but no one needs an excuse to come to the beach.  A sign that we are in a tropical area...


From the bakery in HEB (a Texas grocery chain): Rice Crispy treats in the shape of flip-flops.  :-)


No comments: