Monday, August 21, 2017

After the eclipse (Who knew this was all here??)...




After working up the eclipse photos, we decided to get out and about for a few hours.  Joan said to me, "There is a lot of Pigeon Forge we didn't see on the way in - should be any kind of food you want to eat."

I thought she was kidding.  I was wrong.  Really wrong.

We came in on a "back road" to the campground; drove right past the entrance to Dollywood.  I thought that was all there was to Pigeon Forge.  Yep, really wrong again.

When we got onto the main drag, it was about 4 miles of tourist traps: at least a dozen mini-golf places, outlet malls, an endless range of restaurants, more old time photo places than I can count on both hands, a NASCAR-themed amusement park, hotels and motels as far as the eye can see.  It reminds me of Branson, Missouri, but newer and in a valley... so everything is reasonably on the level compared to Branson, where everything is in the hills.

I gawked.  Probably said, "Hoooooweeee," more than a few times.  Lots of traffic.

We did some shopping.  Went out for supper.  Had a guy from New York driving a minivan nearly T-bone us (I was quick on the brakes).  All that fun kinda stuff.

I didn't think to shoot any photos while driving through, and before supper.  This is Tourist Central.  I handed Joan the camera on the way back to the campground and said, "See if you can get a few shots to show all this touristy stuff."  Probably too late as we had driven back past most of it.





No comments: