Monday, April 9, 2018

A day off...


A friend once asked about the downsides (if any) of being retired: unlike work, you're never done.  ;-)

After the drive home, the unloading process, putting the motorhome away, and getting to Randy's memorial, we needed a "veg" day.  Sunday is a day of rest; also a day of movie watching.

There are still things that need to get done around the house to be fully moved back in... like the deck needs to get set up.  Joan has a day of bookwork on her agenda.  After breakfast, and before tackling the deck, I took my e-bike out for a ride.

We didn't take the e-bikes with us on this last trip to Phoenix.  I wasn't sure what to expect with the lithium-ion battery after sitting, but it was still showing a full charge.  I'm impressed.  I thought that may drop off in a short time, but after 5 miles of pedal-assist, it was still showing a full charge.  In an effort to get the battery indicator to drop, I ran the bike with the throttle (like an electric scooter) - after about a mile of full throttle (yes, I was exceeding the speed limit on our island - the bike will do around 20 mph with the throttle), it finally dropped to 3/4.  As soon as a let off the throttle, it went back up to full.

After my ride, I put both bikes on their chargers... walking up the steps to the deck, I could feel a few aches after several months of not pedaling.  Yeah, I'm going to have to stay on that - these creaky ol' bones aren't getting any more limber.

77º and 80% humidity when I got back.  In the desert, you sweat, but it is so dry that it evaporates right away.  Here in a sub-tropical climate, the sweat you feel when you get the bike out is still around for you to enjoy when you get back from your ride.  Oh, it was OK as long as you aren't pedaling northwest with a southeast wind... 'cause then you really feel the humidity.

I told Joan I needed to get this post made while it was all still fresh in my mind - the reality is: I needed the a/c and a rest for my back before taking on the deck.

And Rufus?  Thanks for asking.  He is settling in.  Sitting on my arm right now while I try to type this.  Definitely less skittish with "the big move," and has gotten very playful - he is enjoying his toys, including kicking the snot out of a little pop up tent and dragging it all over the house.  Joan thinks he may be more "kitten" than we think, or maybe his life before becoming a part of our family didn't include any playtime?  He's getting plenty of that in now.

:-)

-----

The deck is ready for occupancy...



No comments: