Monday, February 18, 2019

Letter from camp...


Remember the song "Camp Granada"?

Hello Muddah, hello Faddah
Here I am at Camp Grenada
Camp is very entertaining
And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining

If you said, "Allan Sherman, 1963," you get 200 bonus points.

The weather here has been cooler than normal.  Pretty much the same back home, too.  I wrote to friends Mike and MJ this morning:


Hi Mike and MJ,

Hope you’re having a good winter.  I see a high today of 60º and 50% chance of rain there.  High of 55º and a 40% chance of rain here today.  Rained last night.  Lows in the 30s the next couple nights.  In technical meteorology talk: this shit sucks.  Probably not much fishing for you two - we’ve had the scooters out a grand total of 3 times since we left home.  Looking at the national map, it doesn’t look good anywhere… Las Vegas had a dusting of snow overnight.  Cave Creek, just north of Scottsdale, had a few flakes.  The locals seem to enjoy this stuff, since they have hotter than the Gates of Hell about 6 months out of the year.

I am reminded of a Hawaiian saying: “Never judge a day by the weather.”  Yeah, well the people that believe that crap live in Hawaii… although on the local weather here, they mentioned that there was snow on Maui.  No shit, Shakespeare, it’s at the top of Haleakala, where the elevation is just over 10,000 feet… nice down at sea level, though.  Nobody lives at the top of Haleakala - anybody wonder why??

OK, I am better now - just needed to blow off a little steam.  Well, some steam would be nice and warm, but I digress.  Other than the “cabin fever,” it seems we have been plenty busy here.  Not sure how I got talked into doing guitar lessons after school at Steph’s school.  That just kinda happened.  The kids seem to be having some fun with it.  I’ve met some people here in the park that play music.  Country music.  Not my first choice in music genre… who am I kidding: not my 12th choice.

This is beginning to sound like a kid’s letter from camp, huh?  (Hello, Mudder; hello Fahder). I may make a wallet or see if I can get a merit badge in identifying desert spiders and scorpions.

Rufus is doing fine - I think he may have grown since you last saw him.  People walking their dogs cross to the other side of the street when they see him on his leash… I don’t know why - he is such a sweet boy.  Just because he looks like a sabertooth tiger?

We are staying busy with staring forlornly at the weather and complaining about the traffic.  On the bright side, we are right in the middle of Construction Season, so you never know what road will be closed today.

That’s about it for life in the desert.  

Hugs,
Jim, Joan, and Rufus
 
 --------------

The wives of a couple of the people from yesterday came by our motorhome this morning - they are having another "music get together" today. I semi-committed to it yesterday, but it was supposed to be at someone's screened-in patio. 55º, a chance of rain, and a chilly north wind doesn't sound like my idea of fun. They got permission to use the Event Center here in the park, so it will be inside. I am going to go play music. Inside, as in: out of the weather.

Rufus was standing by my legs when I opened the door - they seemed surprised by "the big cat."  Maybe it is just me, but he seems like a normal size cat.  Yes, it is twice the weight of Izzy, but she was a long, lean supermodel cat.  Rufus looks the part of a UFC (Ultimate Fighting Cat), but he is such a sweet boy.  I kinda get how his square jaw gives him a "big cat" look, but... intimidating?  Nope, I don't see it.  Literally, they both stepped back when they saw him.

Such a good boy.  :-)

No comments: