Thursday, February 21, 2019

Gray...


My hair?  Well, yeah, but I was speaking of the weather.  Solid overcast and rain all day.  In fact, this morning, we had about 30 seconds of smaller than pea size hail.  It was 49º when we left to go to Steph's school just before noon, and 49º on our way home at 4:00.

The second to the last class for the Gravity Cruisers - today was all about getting as many test runs as possible in.  There were some triumphs (3 girls who couldn't get their car to go at all previously, and ran almost 7 meters today) and defeats (a couple cars that made good distance last week, couldn't match those previous runs).  Tomorrow, they will pare it down, and the top 2 or 3 contenders in each class will compete for school honors next week.

The guitar lesson was definitely more gray than sunny: they had a 4 day break (Friday through Monday), so this was the first lesson in a week.  Apparently, no one (besides me 😎) practiced at all.  The skills they acquired in the first two lessons were gone.  It was like starting at the beginning.  Fortunately, my income for this is not based on their performance... zero dollars, whether they put in the effort or not.

One kid said, "We want to learn some songs."

"I am right there with you - I was hoping to show you some songs today.  But, if no one can play the chords we learned last week, it just isn't possible to play a song."  I showed them a simple 3-chord song... "Maybe we can learn this next class if you practice the chords?"

I had to chuckle to myself... I haven't figured out a way to play songs on the guitar without actually playing the guitar.  ;-)

Back to the coach after an early BBQ supper, the local news is all about the weather: heavy snow in northern Arizona, but even parts of the Phoenix area, like Scottsdale and Cave Creek, had a dusting of snow today.  I wore my flannel-lined jeans today.  (sigh)


No comments: