Tuesday, June 4, 2019

When the rain comes...


If you said, "They run and hide their heads.  The Beatles.  1966," you get 50 bonus points.

There is a tropical disturbance south of us, off the Yucatan in the Gulf of Mexico.  With the terrible weather the rest of the country has had this past month, this gives our local weather weasels something to talk about.  We haven't had any measurable precipitation in the past month, so some rain associated with this disturbance would actually be welcome.  It is definitely moving this way, and the prediction is for it to reach our area sometime this afternoon.

The down side of that weather maker is what will happen when it moves north of us: it is going to bring plenty of Gulf moisture along with it... most likely, it will make for more ugly weather for those areas that really don't need it.  The current radar...


That is the first of the rain for us; it is expanding northwest and the system is much bigger south of what you see in this image.  Over the next two days, we are predicted to get 1 to 2" of rain.

Of course, timing is everything.  When I went for my morning walk, the sun had just disappeared and you could feel the moisture in the air.  By the time I got about 1/2 way to my turn around point, the first of the spitty raindrops began to fall.  At the turn around point, it was more of a light steady rain.  It continued to increase, leaving me wet when I got home.  If the rain had started any earlier, I may not have gone for the walk... and I really feel that it is the walking that is helping me the most.

Since I was already wet, it was a good time to clean up.

One of the PT guys called and said he'd be here around 11:30, earlier than usual.  The rain had stopped by that time.  We went through the toughest of my exercises, then decided to head out for the walk.  He watches my gait, occasionally offering a suggestion.  I got a "You're doing good.  Your daily increase seems to be just right."  And when we got to my turn around point, the rain started again.  Yep, we got a bit damp. but not as wet as I got this morning.  He watched me do the stairs to our front door and asked me to try alternating, instead of one step at a time.  "Does that hurt?"

"Well, there is always some pain, but the walk and doing these stairs hasn't made it any worse."

Back inside and it was more discussion than further exercising - I have one PT session left.  I do wonder about progressing after these sessions.  He gave me one more exercise to work on, standing on the left foot, right foot raised, and easing my hand off any support, where it will be just the leg with the new hip holding all my weight.  Yes, I can do it... for a short time.  More about the balance (since I haven't stood on one foot for a long time) than the pain.  It gives me something new to work on.

After the PT session, the rain ramped up more.  So far it is still a gentle rain, not pounding.  The wind has come up a bit (10 to 20mph).  The local weather guy has downgraded the chance of "development" to 20%... looks like this is going to stay coastal and not affect inland from us.


It is going to be hot and humid on the other side of this.


No comments: