Monday, June 24, 2019

Getting short...


No, I am not talking about our time here.  We have no solid plans for escaping to the north anytime soon.  I have written about how crazy things get on this island during the summer... more renters who don't care about the rules or the property.  Management does try to keep things under control, but each time they come up with a new rule, stupid people find new ways to ignore the rule.  I guess the thing that concerns me most are the golf carts... this time of year, they are not used while playing golf, but are the preferred transportation for some from where they are staying to the pool area.  I have no issue with that.  It is the high rate of speed and the number of people that are piled on the carts.  And even though there are signs (in English and Spanish) saying that anyone driving a golf cart must have a drivers license, these carts are often being driven by kids... with a bunch of other kids in the cart.  It is an accident waiting to happen.

The stop sign that is about 100 yards from our house has been knocked down 3 times in the past two months.  It happened again yesterday morning.  Maintenance came out in the afternoon to put it back up.  Each time it gets hit, it breaks off at ground level - it is now about waist high...


You may notice the sign is not overly close to the roadway.  Yeah, you have to be out of control, not paying attention, too young and inexperienced to be driving, or just plain stupid to run into that sign.  Or, maybe all of the above.

On the bright side, it is Monday morning, and all is relatively quiet again.  I do still keep my head on a swivel while I am out doing my daily walks.  Many of these carts are not the typical golf cart, but are more like a cross between a dune buggy and a multi-passenger side-by-side UTV.  I can generally hear them coming... not necessarily from the engine sound, but from the blaring stereo.

Yeah, I know: get off my lawn, ya damn kids!  LOL


No comments: