Wednesday, June 19, 2019

How you doin'?


If you said, "Joey Tribbiani from the TV series Friends," you get 25 bonus points.  Interesting tidbit: although that is, by far, that character's most memorable line, he didn't say it all that often; out of 236 episodes over 10 years, he said it fewer than 20 times.

This post is friend related, but not the TV series.  A friend called today to see how I was doing; based on what he has read here, he thought I must be doing good.  Seven and a half weeks of pain and grueling work boiled up and burst out.  I wasn't a good friend.

Yes, there is still pain.  It is always there, whether I am sitting, walking, sleeping... certainly, it is less than early on.  Less than before the surgery?  Not yet.  Am I "glad" I did the surgery?  Not yet.  I am in better shape because I have been working at it.  The pre-surgery hip would not have allowed me to exercise this much.  I am still hopeful that the end result will have been worth it.

I am frustrated.  Can't get the boat out.  Can't load the scoots up and take them some place that is pleasant to ride.  Can't really sit out on the deck.  It's hot and humid... so I go outside for a walk or a bike ride and come back a sweatball.  Probably because I am "working at it" when I go outside... it isn't a leisurely walk.  I feel like I am "losing" my summer... it feels like I can't plan for traveling because I don't know what I'll be able to do for setting up the motorhome; or hooking up the car.

"Don't lift more than 20 pounds..."  For how long?  Are we talking a dead lift or a curl?  "You can't cross your legs..."  No shit;  I couldn't cross my legs before the surgery.  "No twisting motion..."  So, apparently, I can dance the Watusi, but Chubby Checker songs are out.

So, the answer to the title of this post is: better than it was for the first month after surgery, but it seems like a long way to go.  If I hear another "Everybody's recovery is different," I will probably explode.  I am aware of this - I am living it.  Every day is different.

On the bright side: Rufus has resumed hopping up onto my chair and head-butting me.  I know I mentioned this a few days ago, but it is something that brings me joy.

I take no joy in ranting.


2 comments:

Bill K said...

You know I was thinking about getting something done with one of my knees, BUT after reading all this about your hip I have decided to just live with the pain I have.

Bill Kelleher

PS I have not even put the electronics in the C-Dory this year.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bill,

Well, don't base it on my experience, because... everybody's recovery is different. Or, if you ask any of the medical folks, they'll say, "That's normal." Re-reading, my post, my apologies for sounding like "Woe is me!" I'm generally more upbeat. I was once told, "Put off the surgery until you can't take it any longer." I felt like I was at that point this past winter. "Put it off until it is interfering with you being able to do the things you want to do." I felt like I was at that point.

It comes down to expectations: the surgeon and his staff didn't do anything to prepare me for what to expect after the surgery, other than: "You're going to do great."

Well, everybody's recovery is different. I have been able to visit with people who are doing better and people who are having more challenges. I would have appreciated knowing what to *really* expect. It is hard to quantify the pain, even though the medical folks like to ask you where it is on a scale of 1 to 10. I am hopeful that there will be painfree times ahead; haven't seen it, yet. On the up-side: the pain is decreasing (not fast enough, for me); before the surgery, it was increasing. So, kinda like betting on the future.

Hey, they cut your joint apart, attach a socket where there was once bone, and then shove a metal rod down the middle of your leg bone. And in the process, they move or cut some of the biggest muscles in your body. No surprise that there is pain.

I blew a knee apart 40 years ago. I was young and fit before/after that surgery, but it still took months to recover. This one feels tougher, probably because of age.

If you think you might need a new knee... you probably do. Do your own research, but there may be therapy or shots that could give you relief. And, if anyone tells you, "It's a piece of cake - I know a guy...", punch them in the throat.

;-)