Sunday, May 14, 2017

Spreadin' the love around...


Happy Mothers Day!  I am married to a good Momma; she and I co-parented a fine kid.  This morning, I listened in as she and Steph (that fine kid) were talking on the phone... still giving loving Mom advice.

I offered to make breakfast this morning: "Thanks, but I'd rather ... um..."

"Yeah, you'd rather it was edible."  ;-)

When asked about what would make her day, she said, "I'd like to go out on the boat at some point."

I can make that happen.

Mid-afternoon, we shoved off.  I heard a couple of the commercial boats talking about "The dolphins are by the power lines, off from Pier 19," on the VHF.  We have had some amazing dolphin experiences the past few days - and had them with no other boats around.  It was pretty clear there were going to be a steady stream of boats out in the bay, so we decided to just enjoy our time in the peace and quiet on our side of the swing-bridge.

I read an interesting meme on the internet today: back in my day, we took pictures that had other people in them... an obvious reference to selfies.


The only boats we saw between home and the ship channel were a few jetskis (aka sea lice)...


Joan asked if we could go back into the old shrimp basin... sure.  On the way there, passing some shrimp boats, I was looking at the boat names...


For some reason, these two sounded like a bad remake of a broadway musical... instead of Man of La Mancha, there was La Pacha; instead of Don Quixote, it was Don Paco...


I think this guy has a DJ job on the side...


Turning into the old shrimp basin, we admired the new docks that have been built there...


A shrimp boat being spruced up...


Yours truly at the helm, just enjoying the laid back day...


And then...



Yep, a lone dolphin.  In all the times we have cruised through here, I have never seen a dolphin in this basin.  I guess he felt our day wasn't complete without seeing one of our mammal friends...


He seemed to be doing what I call "logging" - just resting at the surface.  We gave him plenty of space as he started hunting.




It wasn't the action-packed viewing of the past few days, but it was a nice, unexpected treat.  As we started to move on...


And, a wave good-bye in the form of a tail slap...



Some more cruising around before heading for home...




No comments: